Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M10 owners - what springs & spring rates are you rolling on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 owners - what springs & spring rates are you rolling on?

If not on stock springs, what springs and spring rates are you running? Post your whole early 318i suspension setup if you like. I'm curious, and there's almost nothing posted for the super-light M10 model.

I'm stock right now, 4x4 & super soft

But would prefer stancecar :pimp:
    balticblau-metallic '84 318i 5spd 3.91 LSD

You'll need coilovers if you want to get super low with an early 318.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Yes, coilovers are a must with the high rear arch and light weight. I figure I'm looking for something stiffer than the H&R sports 318i-specific 29664 200f/285r but the GE group buy 450f/650r I imagine will be too stiff. But I'd like to hear what's working for you other M10 guys first.

Comment

I ran 500or550front/650rear gc coils and bilstein sports before.

You want to make an M10 StanceCar? lulwat
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          I ran 500or550front/650rear gc coils and bilstein sports before.
          How did they feel on potholed NW streets? Not too stiff?

Originally posted by Jean View Post
          You want to make an M10 StanceCar? lulwat
          Nothing extreme, the r3v E30 stancecar guys seem to keep it reasonable -- I'm taking inspiration from cars like csermonet47

and Stephen

I tuned up the engine and refurb'd the brake system this summer. A drop and a light turbo would be nice next. I love my 318 and would like to make the most out of her.
          Last edited by 84driver; 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM.

Comment

If you want low you have to compromise some ride quality. the flip side to that is if you dont have enough shock to dampen the springs you buy then ride suffers. I DD 550f/750r M20 car though but ya....
            sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
            The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

I'm running some JOM 80mm drop springs from a 90 325is I bought via craigslist. Dropped the front about 2", I have maybe a 1.5-2 finger gap on bottlecaps and 185/65/14 winter tires, thats with E90 drop hats and no spring pads. Rears are no pads, Camaro rear shocks, same 80mm drop springs and it dropped about 1" over stock. 2 Finger wheel gap for sure.
              1999 540iA - Daily Driver

Comment

I am running H&R race on Bilstein sports, and it still sits high because it's so light.

And actually, the M10 makes the best "stance car" because the steel oil pan sits higher than the steering rack.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Bonrath front drop hats, B&G front springs, no spring pads.
                  Lowtech rear springs with no spring pads.
                  As long as your not on super small tires its not that hard to make it look low.
                  Photo courtesy of Sparkle.
                  Last edited by Wishno87; 11-05-2011, 09:36 PM.
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Awesome guys, thanks for the input.

Do you notice a difference in ride quality with the spring pads out? I was thinking of just swapping for thinner pads since it is my DD.

Comment

Originally posted by 84driver View Post
                      Awesome guys, thanks for the input.

Do you notice a difference in ride quality with the spring pads out? I was thinking of just swapping for thinner pads since it is my DD.

I've never really noticed a difference without the pads. But then again I always have stiffer springs when I take out the spring pads.
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I dont get any noise without the pads if thats what your worried about. No grinding, squeaking etc. All it did for me was make me just that much lower.
                        1999 540iA - Daily Driver

Comment

Working...
                        X