No announcement yet.

Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Soooo lucky. I get alot of good parts for free too so I guess I can't complain.
    '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
    '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
    '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
    '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

pictures from wed for my 24v build...

3.25" spacers, 1.5" OD 1/8" wall (I couldn't find exact dimensions anywhere, so here ya go)

aforementioned AGX's, I still need to modify the tophats for the GE coilovers to fit on the agxs correctly, which is going to suck.

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I saw these shocks for the same Camaro fitment, I'm assuming they would work.
        They're a bit more expensive, but made by QA1 and are user revalvable and rebuildable. For $89.00.

Comment

Originally posted by ScHpAnKy View Post

aforementioned AGX's, I still need to modify the tophats for the GE coilovers to fit on the agxs correctly, which is going to suck.

Looks like the gland nut is not torqued down enough. Maybe the spacers are too long. Also modifying the top hats is a breeze. A file on cone side will to the trick. If you put it on upside down you'll see what i mean.

Originally posted by inertiaticism View Post
          I saw these shocks for the same Camaro fitment, I'm assuming they would work.
          They're a bit more expensive, but made by QA1 and are user revalvable and rebuildable. For $89.00.

The Bilstein sprint series are also another alternative. I might end up going that route with the turbo car. We'll see how it handles the new power.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

I'm thinking of doing this on my vert. I need to find some shocks to go with the Vogtlands I just got. Would this still be worth doing with gr2/excel-g's? Would I still get all the same benefits, minus being adjustable? I can't afford AGX's right now...but may just save up if gr2's aren't worth using.

Are the Gas a Just the stiffest of the non-adjustable kyb's? My eta had HD's, and it was kind of rough here in L.A. I read a post in another thread that said the camaro gr2's are more like Billy sports, can anyone confirm this?
            Last edited by schröe30er; 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM. Reason: Too long

Autos:
            1989 325ic -Blk/blk 5 speed, stock weaves, hella euro smilies, PB swap, 320i trans mounts, M3 CAB's, e36 rack, Vogtland springs, Billy Sport fronts/Kyb Camaro rears, M30?
            1986 eta -Chipped, stock weaves, hella euro smilies, M3 CAB's, e36 rack, Billy HD's -L.A. traffic killer -SOLD
            1983 300D WVO since '07 my DD
            Plus more...

Comment

I think you'd be better off getting regular e30 KYBs.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                I think you'd be better off getting regular e30 KYBs.
                Really? Regular kyb's on Vogtlands on a vert, I don't know...the vogtlands give a 1.8 inch drop right off the bat, can the regular e30 gr2's handle that on a heavy vert? I wanted to get something stronger like the cameros for the heavy rear end at least. I know they don't have to be adjustable, I just thought there were other benefits.

I think I would run the springs on my stock e30 shocks for a couple months before I bought regular e30 kyb's. Just don't want to do the work twice, and my ride will be dropped before bimmerfest.
                Last edited by schröe30er; 05-11-2012, 07:22 AM.

Autos:
                1989 325ic -Blk/blk 5 speed, stock weaves, hella euro smilies, PB swap, 320i trans mounts, M3 CAB's, e36 rack, Vogtland springs, Billy Sport fronts/Kyb Camaro rears, M30?
                1986 eta -Chipped, stock weaves, hella euro smilies, M3 CAB's, e36 rack, Billy HD's -L.A. traffic killer -SOLD
                Plus more...

Comment

Originally posted by schröe30er View Post
                  My eta had HD's, and it was kind of rough here in L.A.
                  The Camaro/MR2s are stiffer.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

The Camaro/MR2s are stiffer.
                    I was asking about the gr2's Specifically because I read the camaro gr2's are closer to billy sports, where as the Gas a Just are stiffer than HDs. Not even considering agx's, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1774669

My eta wasn't lowered. Maybe thats why it was harsh? But I do want stiffer shocks to match with my new lowering springs and heavier vert, just not too stiff.

Fact is I may not even mind something really stiff on the vert, but there's no way of me knowing beforehand unfortunately.
                    Last edited by schröe30er; 05-11-2012, 07:46 AM. Reason: Too long

Autos:
                    Plus more...

Comment

The purpose for installing the MR2 non adjustable inserts is to section your strut tubes for coilovers which your not doing. The purpose for the Camaro rears is compensate for the fact bilstein sports bottom out on really low coilovers. Once again you are not doing. The purpose of getting the AGXs is to get stiffer then Bilstein rates which you do not want.

Why is it your looking in to this setup?

from the link you posted

but camaro gr2s are 40$. You cannot beat that with a stick, stiffer than bilstein sports.
                      Last edited by einstein57; 05-08-2012, 07:50 PM.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

Why is it your looking in to this setup?
                        Initially I was just looking into running rear camaro kyb's. As a cheaper alternative to bilstein. That's what a lot of other people are doing. I didn't know about the MR2's until I came here. I WAS wondering if I could use the MR2's with my particular setup though. I wasn't aware the mr2's were coil-over specific. Why cant I use them?
                        Last edited by schröe30er; 05-11-2012, 08:03 AM. Reason: Too long, Spelling "Camaro" freaking "Camero"...OCD

Autos:
                        Plus more...

Comment

What Einstein is getting at is your goals do not match what these shocks are meant to achieve.

You say you are lowering your car slightly (vogtlands don't go too low) and that you do not want a stiff ride. These shocks are meant for both (low and stiff). They are also physically shorter in length.

By all means give these shocks a go, but don't expect to be as comfortable as you want.

Comment

I hope I did not come off the wrong way. Just seems like what you like does not match what you want. You said the HDs were too harsh for you but your looking at shocks that are as stiff if not stiffer. I R confused. FWIW I tosed my 650 rear springs on a vert with some healthy boge shocks and they felt great.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

I hope I did not come off the wrong way. Just seems like what you like does not match what you want. You said the HDs were too harsh for you but your looking at shocks that are as stiff if not stiffer. I R confused. FWIW I tosed my 650 rear springs on a vert with some healthy boge shocks and they felt great.
                              No worries man...I know what your saying. But the "gr2's" im looking at, aren't suppsed to be as stiff as HD's, thats what i have been saying. I was sounding contradictory as I was still filling in the blanks. I appreciate your guidance. But I'll decide what is too stiff (that's what she said). I'm not extremely concerned about being too stiff at this point really. I just threw that in there to confuse everyone. Bang for buck is more important right now. I should have emphasized that. Also I DO want a shorter/stiffer shock for my lowering springs. And I might like "HD stiff" or stiffer in my vert...idk.

The camaro rears are happening for sure, but going to try camaro gr2's which have been compared to billy sport stiffness.

What intrigues me about this thread is the mr2's you guys are using in the front.

I wanted to know if I could use the mr2's on my ride without coilovers.

Many people with verts and vogtlands have issues with oem and HD's. My boge's aren't blown. Still don't want to use them with a 1.8 inch drop on a heavy vert.
                              Last edited by schröe30er; 05-11-2012, 08:58 AM.

Autos:
                              Plus more...

Comment

Originally posted by yert315 View Post
                                What Einstein is getting at is your goals do not match what these shocks are meant to achieve.

You say you are lowering your car slightly (vogtlands don't go too low) and that you do not want a stiff ride. These shocks are meant for both (low and stiff). They are also physically shorter in length.
                                Pr
                                By all means give these shocks a go, but don't expect to be as comfortable as you want.
                                Edit:
                                Never mind found what I needed on an sw20/ae86 forum...peace out.
                                Last edited by schröe30er; 05-14-2012, 05:06 AM.

Autos:
                                Plus more...

Comment

Working...
                                X