No announcement yet.

Camaro Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never really heard anything great about vogtland. You can pick up a used set of h&r sports for less. The rears don't need a new bushing, just an insert. The fronts require a larger bearing if your running the factory setup and the part # was posted on the first page. Camber plate modification depends on the setup. Mine just required that i bore out the insert 1mm.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
    My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
      I have never really heard anything great about vogtland. You can pick up a used set of h&r sports for less. The rears don't need a new bushing, just an insert. The fronts require a larger bearing if your running the factory setup and the part # was posted on the first page. Camber plate modification depends on the setup. Mine just required that i bore out the insert 1mm.
      So you didn't have to make any kind of spacer for the front strut housing?

I need some suspension under my 318is, and it sounds like I can get all of this for about $550 shipped, have decent springs and adjustable dampers. I am going to get rear shock mount reinforcements and probably splurge on the IE street camber plates.

I'm trying to keep everything relatively low budget, but still have a decent suspension for fun street driving and daily driving.

By the way... Thanks for the reply and your contribution to the thread. It has been informative.

Comment

I shortened my strut tubes 2 inches to run with the coilovers i sell.
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

So how would these compare to billstein sports???

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/KYB-Adjust-Rig...4770758&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/KYB-743020-Man...4770690&sr=8-1

Can we use any of these ?
            Part number : 743021

They all seem to fit

Comment

einstien, have you tried these shocks with your coilovers? if so please do tell what its all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishguy View Post
                OK... So for my benefit after reading through this thread, one would need the above shocks and some lowering springs such as these Vogtland springs for my 1991 318is:

Then in addition to that you would need to slightly modify the lower eye of the Camaro shocks by pressing in a slightly different bushing.

Then on the front MR2 strut inserts you would need to modify your camber plates if you have them for the slightly larger MR2 shafts, and also come up with a spacer to fit inside the strut housing because the MR2 strut insert is shorter than the OEM or replacement inserts.

Does that about summarize it or am I leaving something out?
                You've got it, thats exactly what needs to be done!
                1999 540iA - Daily Driver

Comment

Originally posted by 801coppertop View Post
                  einstien, have you tried these shocks with your coilovers? if so please do tell what its all about.

Yes and no. They are installed on one of my cars with my coilovers but the car they are installed on is currently not running due to some electrical gremlins.

www.gecoils.com

Comment

I'm finally getting around to putting the MR2 shocks on. I'm going with MR2 front inserts, as these are the same shocks used as Celica GTS front inserts.

here is a side by side comparison vs stock e30

You either have to shorten the strut housing, or make a spacer to make up the difference. I am going spacer first, I'm building a track car, so going super low isn't what I am looking for.

You also have to push the stock bearing out of the strut mount and replace it with a 6302-2RSJ. The MR2 insert shaft is a couple mm larger diameter and the stock bearing will never fit!
                    Last edited by TG Goose; 02-25-2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

is the 6302-2RSJ a direct replacement into the strut mounts?

Comment

the 6302-2RSJ fits perfectly. It is the one installed in the picture above. I put up a picture of it on the MR2 shaft and installed in the strut mount.

Comment

Just wondering... Is there a comparison in rates of the rear shocks between the:

1) Billy sports
                          2) KYB AGX Chamaro rear shocks
                          and the
                          3)KYB Gas-a-just Chamaro rear shocks?

Just curious about numbers.

Comment

Love this thread. Quality information in here

Comment

Originally posted by TG Goose View Post
                              I'm finally getting around to putting the MR2 shocks on. I'm going with MR2 front inserts, as these are the same shocks used as Celica GTS front inserts.

here is a side by side comparison vs stock e30

You either have to shorten the strut housing, or make a spacer to make up the difference. I am going spacer first, I'm building a track car, so going super low isn't what I am looking for.

You also have to push the stock bearing out of the strut mount and replace it with a 6302-2RSJ. The MR2 insert shaft is a couple mm larger diameter and the stock bearing will never fit!

so thats an alternator bearing you used?

Comment

instead of using the KYB you can use the Bilsteins :)

Comment

Working...
                                X