No announcement yet.

little help? suspension problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok so my buddy has a 318i and we have came to the conclusion its the driver side strut. i got one for $107 and the mounts for the two front my next question is i was gonna order vogtland springs for my car whats your opinion? or eibachs. and i know i need a tie rod puller or pickle fork or whatever he called but after we get them out will i need a spring compressor to put in the vogtlands on or will they be small enough to go in without? and i also have brand new wheel bearings put in 300 miles ago its riding smoother but still the wobble from the strut.
    would like a response asap thanks for the help guys!
    5 cars and ive found a keeper :)

Comment

You will need a ball joint press to separate the tie rods and control arm ball joints to get the strut out. A pickle fork is only used when the tire rod or control arm is being replaced as it will destroy the ball joint dust seal. A spring compressor is required to disassemble & reassemble the strut.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
        You will need a ball joint press to separate the tie rods and control arm ball joints to get the strut out. A pickle fork is only used when the tire rod or control arm is being replaced as it will destroy the ball joint dust seal. A spring compressor is required to disassemble & reassemble the strut.
        If used correctly a pickle fork won't destroy the ball joint seal. I've done it hundreds of times, never used a ball joint press. You just have to be careful and make sure to put the flat side of the fork towards the boot.

And yous can take the spring off with just an impact wrench, but getting it back on is a bit harder because it is so long.

All the tools can be rented for free from autozone though, so you might as well.

Comment

Working...
        X