No announcement yet.

Cutting front springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For what even decent used lowering springs would cost (you can definitely find them), I wouldn't cut them.

Personal opinion, if you're gonna lower, do it right. Make sure you invest in some protection for your oil pan.
    Estoguy
    1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Originally posted by estoguy View Post
      For what even decent used lowering springs would cost (you can definitely find them), I wouldn't cut them.

Personal opinion, if you're gonna lower, do it right. Make sure you invest in some protection for your oil pan.
      Also lowering springs are designed to handle spring rates with less travel in mind.
      Cutting stock springs will keep the same rate but will have less resistance and travel to handle bumps and dips in the road. And good luck with speed bumps.
      Thus a bouncier ride and risk damaging your engine and transmission fluid pans. And will eventually blow your shocks and struts out.

I've seen used sets selling for as little as $100 and new sets for a little over $200
      you just have to shop around
      Of course Bilsteins are recommended but you can use other lesser costing shocks/struts like Monroe, KYB, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman4Ever View Post
        But on the topic at hand....
        "At hand" may be a bit of stretch, since the last post in this thread was in 2012. :)

Som

Comment

Originally posted by Som View Post
          "At hand" may be a bit of stretch, since the last post in this thread was in 2012. :)

Som
          Now why is there always a party pooper? :yawn:

Comment

:) Sorry! Didn't mean to poop at the party.

By all means, party on!

Som

Comment

Originally posted by Som View Post
              :) Sorry! Didn't mean to poop at the party.

By all means, party on!

Som

As far as I'm concerned a post or thread is never old if it helps at least one person in the future. Then again these cars are not exactly new either.

Comment

Just helped me 7 years later!

Comment

I ran cut springs on tons of e30s. I always started with one coil and worked my way to what I wanted it to look like. be sure to drive around on it after each coil removed so the suspension settles and you see what it will really look like. don't just lower the jack and be bummed it only went down a bit because it could settle some more when you drive it around.

I never cut the backs though. I think if I was cutting the fronts its because I already had lowering springs in the back, like e36 m3 or something else.

also, cosmo coil overs are still super cheap, like 200 and some bucks. I used those way way back in the day also.

Comment

As far as cutting the front coils, should cut(s) be made at the top or bottom? Cutting the bottom looks like it would be easier to access. But cutting at the top would allow spring hat to be rotated so it fits in the slot.

2020 thread bump...

Comment

Working...
                    X