Sway bar vs Strut bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway bar vs Strut bar

Hey guys! I wanted to get something for my car suspension-wise but I cant decide what to get. Should I get a strut bar or a sway bar?

What would you guys get?
    -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
    -1990 325i sedan

Sway bars, strut bars are 90% appearance and 10% doing any good. At least with sways plus new bushings car actually is more than 10% of doing anything.
    1985 BMW 325e
    1997 BMW M3/4/5
    2007 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 v8

Comment

Pretty easy. Strut bars don't really do anything.

That said, you should ask yourself what you plan to accomplish with the change before even getting a sway bar. Is there an issue with how the car currently handles or rides?

-What is the planned use for the "improvement" street, autox, track?
      -Has anything been changed from OE so far?
      -Is everything in good working order and bushings healthy?
      -Understeer / oversteer? at what speeds?
      -Poor turn in? Oversteer on throttle?
      -too much dive under braking? Too much squat under acceleration?
      -General floaty and unstable feeling?

Throwing parts at a suspension doesn't always = better. Planning things out and addressing specific issues will yield a much better result.

I'm not trying to bust your balls and even "I just want it low and hella flush" is a suitable response in my book. Just provide as much info as possible so you can get the best feedback. There are some knowledgable people on this site (not me) and if they know what you aim to accomplish I am sure they could be a great help.
      E30 Widebody 325is - M54b25 in progress (Track / AutoX)
      E39 Wagon 528i (with a clutch the way God intended)
      Toyota MR2 (Ice racer)

Comment

I just want better handling all around. There's nothing wrong with my suspension, but I want a track car feel without making it a track car. "I just want it low and hella flush" haha. I just want whatever gives me better handling and less body roll.
        -1987 325is coupe(SOLD)
        -1990 325i sedan

Comment

Locate a vert front sway bar and buy new OE bushings. 21mm bar, nice upgrade.
          ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
          ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
          ~ '87 535
          ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
          ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

If you just want it too feel more stable without being lower or much harsher then sway bars are the way to go. On the cheap then like the last guy said a cabrio bar up front would be a good start. I would also make sure the bushings in the lolipops and rear end are in great shape. In fact, new rubber in all the bushings would probably make your car feel pretty good for that matter. Look at the engine/tranny/diff mounts as well cause nothing makes a car feel better than fresh bushings. Not many cool guy points but a night and day difference after 20+ years.
            E30 Widebody 325is - M54b25 in progress (Track / AutoX)
            E39 Wagon 528i (with a clutch the way God intended)
            Toyota MR2 (Ice racer)

Comment

Originally posted by F34R View Post
              Locate a vert front sway bar and buy new OE bushings. 21mm bar, nice upgrade.
              This. I picked one up at the local PnP for $25, night and day difference. If you are looking for more oversteer, then address the rear sway bar. IMHO, strut braces are all show until everything else has been addressed and you need to eek out that last little bit of chassis flex.

Comment

Working...
              X