95 m3 steering rack into e30 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

95 m3 steering rack into e30 problems

I just installed a steering rack from a 95 m3 into my 1986 e30.

After the installation I have noticed that when the left wheel is straight the right wheel is pointing to the left (like if you were turning left), it is very noticeable, when I was pushing the car the front right wheel was kind of dragging and not spinning very well.

I did not swap the tie rods from the e30 rack to the m3 rack (could this be the problem), I left everything on the m3 rack as is, and just dropped that into the car.

Trying to narrow this down, a few weeks prior to me putting the rack in my e30 I dolly it to the local car wash (about a mile). Once I got there I noticed that the straps holding the front right wheel had partially come off. Basically allowing that wheel to roll around.

So my question is, what did I fuck up. The alignment, control arm, the steering rack was fubar from the get go (which I don't believe to be the problem) any ideas would be of great help.

Thanks everyone!

if you just changed the rack, chances are that the toe adjustment is WAY off. have it aligned and all should be OK with the world
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Thanks so much Scottin!

I'll give that a shot and see, I really wont be able to get an alignment until the car is running. I just wanted to find out if I messed something up.

Comment

Working...
      X