Rear Shock Tower Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Tower Brace

My 89 iS came with a rear shock tower brace installed by the PO. I left it on there, but have no idea if it's really useful. I've seen many E30's, but have never seen one with a rear tower brace - fronts of course, but no rear.

Is this something that I should leave on? I'm planning on adding one to the front as well when I do a suspension bushing refresh over the winter.

Thoughts? Take it off or leave it on?

It's not much of an effective piece.
    After installing mine, I felt no difference in handling.

The one thing it DID do, is stop the creak and flex driving up a driveway diagonally.
    It didn't feel like my rear window wanted to explode from flex anymore after installed.

So in my opinion, it's beneficial, but one of the last things I'd shop for if I were building up an e30.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I doubt its very heavy. I am sure it doesn't hurt having it installed. I would say why not.

I don't know how much the chassis on the e30 flex. But I have done comparisons on different chassis with chopped bars to see how much flex there is from strut tower to strut tower. I would assume on a 20+ year old chassis there would be some flex. Thus making it beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        It's not much of an effective piece.
        After installing mine, I felt no difference in handling.

The one thing it DID do, is stop the creak and flex driving up a driveway diagonally.
        It didn't feel like my rear window wanted to explode from flex anymore after installed.
        This is a good hint at having one. Even if you don't feel it that flex you heard would actually have a fairly decent effect on your cornering. (when pushing the car to its limits at the track of course.)

Most people don't realize it but even wheels have flex when pushed hard on the track. A good set of racing wheels are not only designed to be light but also very rigid. Any flex or change in the car can alter the suspension geometry. Making a car feel less stable or less predictable when pushing it hard.

I would suggest keeping it if your planning on doing track days. I could see a benefit.

Comment

One other thing worth noting is that the ends will act as a partial reinforcement to the notorious RSM, and THAT is beneficial.
          ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Thanks. It's going to stay in as I'll be taking the car to the track for the first time this coming Saturday. I can't wait!

I appreciate the input!

Comment

Working...
            X