I got the wobbles! ;__;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the wobbles! ;__;

So I started noticing I got speed wobbles right around 55mph. Now it's gotten more aggressive and I get them at around 40mph.

I've replaced my passenger and driver side control arms and balls joints within the past month.

I jacked up the car and tried wiggling things around and nobody's making any obvious noises

My wheels aren't bent.

...that's all I got. Anyone have any ideas? Things I should investigate? I've been avoiding the freeway for a month now and it's starting to really extend the morning commute.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Everyone gets diarrhea. Remember that.

How are your tires?

btw...creepy smiley face lol

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Haha that's a cry face. Basically how I feel right now.

Tires are good. Brand new.

I had them balanced but maybe the guy did a shoddy job?

Comment

Way back whenever it was, I would ONLY get wobbles at 40 - 55mph when I didn't have hubcentric rings for my wheels.

Do you have aftermarket wheels?

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Hmm. Yes I do. And I've never looked into getting rings for them. That is very probable cause.

Comment

A BMW, which has hubcentric wheels, will have vibration problems if fitted with non-hubcentric wheels. Such wheels can not be balanced off the the car. They will work if you can find a shop that can balance the wheels while they are mounted on the car. But if you remove a wheel it will have to be rebalanced.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The above statement is not quite correct. I've balanced literally hundreds of wheels on BMW's and none of them have ever been "on the car".

If the wheels don't have centering rings it will cause a horrible vibration like you are describing. You should be able to pick up a set at a wheel/tire shop for under $20.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil-E View Post
                The above statement is not quite correct. I've balanced literally hundreds of wheels on BMW's and none of them have ever been "on the car".

If the wheels don't have centering rings it will cause a horrible vibration like you are describing. You should be able to pick up a set at a wheel/tire shop for under $20.
                I think you misunderstood.
                sigpic
                Originally posted by JinormusJ
                Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
                1989 325is Raged on then sold.
                1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
                1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
                1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

Well it was definitely the wheels. Put my stocks back on just up front and the wobblies are no more.

So now I've got to get some proper rings or switch wheels. I'd rather switch wheels because there was a clearance issue with the wheels. I've put my wheels up on Fresno Craig's to trade.

Thanks for your help gents.

Peace out.

Comment

Working...
                  X