X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3 Racks! School me on them!

So
    I'm just gonna cut to the chase.

The conflicting amount of information revolving around these incredibly mythical steering racks is ridiculous. Every time I think I'm chasing a lead, I find information that completely goes against what I've researched and sends me down another rabbit hole. I starting to think I'm just on some wild goose chase, and that there are so many rumors surrounding this rack that the truth is lost in the midst of all the lies people believe to be true.

These are the complete spec-sheet for the Z3 quick ratio steering rack:
    2.7 Turns Lock to Lock (L/L)
    53.5mm Full-Turn Travel
    144.5mm Total Travel
    13.9:1 Degree Ratio

So, I've just bought a 1996 Z3 1.9 rack. I assumed from initial studies because it was the 1.9, it would be the 2.7L/L model. The more I read up on it however, the more conflicting information is out there regarding these racks, leaving me MORE confused, and just downright frustrated. My observations have lead me to a certain batch of information that people are claiming are true without definitive proof. This man is a genius, because he actually asks the questions most people don't dare to ask (Quoted from e30tech)

Does anyone know which Z3 rack is the 2.7 linear rack? I have heard too much conflicting information.

Some say...
    A. Make sure to Check all Z3 racks cause not all are 2.7
    B. All Z3 non M racks are 2.7
    C. Only the 1.9 racks are 2.7
    D. 2.8L Z3 96+ had a 2.7
    E. There was a very limited amount of 2.7 racks made (around 2500)

Anyone can confirm which of these is correct?

Thanks!
    Now, my main annoyance is the specific member from BF.C who claimed this. Paraphrased, he claims that not all 1.9s came with the 2.7L/L, but fails to provide any supporting information such as the model years he tested at the yards.

He then goes on to claim without any definitive proof that the 2.7L/L racks were ZF racks, but were re-manufactured by Maval and were given a gold finish and sold as Maval units. Now, I don't know about you, but I've seen plenty of Z3 2.7L/L racks that have been confirmed as the originals that were the aluminum finished silver ZF units. However, I've read people claiming this "evidence" as fact and trying to school other members on the true 2.7L/L rack (To those people, you need to start doing your research yourself). What makes this annoying he hasn't logged in since April, so there's no way to ask his sources; his claim however, is the only one I've read about it. He did claim he thinks one of the Z3 1.9s he tested was a 2000 model. We'll roll with that for now.

This is what makes matters worse, because no one has any definitive information regarding the racks, and no one has put to rest any of the above rumors, I have no idea if the rack I've ordered is true 2.7L/L, or a plain 3.2L/L Z3 rack. All we know is he mentions Maval, and them having a specific gold finish, not the typical aluminum that the ZF racks have. That being said more questions come up such as, which cars actually CAME with the Maval units? It just kind of seems to me he just did half the research and left it at that, and that really pisses me off.

Further researching the Maval rebuilds themselves has revealed, from multiple sources, that the racks are complete garbage and are poorly re-manufactured (play after only 1000 miles, leaky fittings unless over-torqued). I've called Ron (Rongineer) at RyanGMW and he said to avoid them unless it is re-manufactured by ZF themselves because the Maval units are a bad re-manufacturing. Further questioning.. Why would the 2.7L/L racks be only produce by Maval in the first place?

So.. Gathering all the information that SHOULD be believed if these stories are "true"? ZF made racks that were 3.2 and had a silver-aluminum finish for the Z3s, but somehow some of them needed remanufacturing and were sent to an outside company (Maval) where they changed the ratio to 2.7 and added a gold-aluminium finish, and some Z3s got them, but some didn't, so I have to check every single one just to be sure? That's bullshavek; there has to be some hard facts on this subject and some people are talking out of their ass.

Further research I've come across has proof that there were some BMW Z3 racks that DO indeed have a 2.7L/L ratio, but only had 44.5mm turn travel versus the original 54.5. I have come to the conclusion that these are not original Z3 racks, but really e36 racks with stoppers set to 2.7L/L to compensate for the original Z3 L/L characteristics. BMW seemed to have two separate part numbers at one point in time for the original 53.5mm vs. the new 44.5mm travel; wherein the later superseded the former, most likely over safety issues from the linear pull and the rack ratio/large travel distance of the original Z3 racks. Picture evidence comparing the original 2.7L/L vs. the shortened 2.7L/L and the e36 3.2L/L shows that the shortened 2.7L/L and the e36 3.2L/L are exactly the same, while the original Z3 2.7L/L is a completely different rack housing and is easily distinguishable between the 3.

Piecing together any slight bits of information that remotely makes ANY sense, I want to say I believe that the original Z3 2.7L/L racks came in all 95-97 Z3s (excluding the M) as long as they kept the original racks, and that after a certain model year, BMW did in fact supersede the original 2.7L/L part number purging it from the original BMW catalogs due to safety concerns, and started fitting Z3s with shortened 2.7L/L or e36 3.2L/L racks. However, at this point I have no other evidence to make this a definitive claim, and should not be quoted as fact: this is just a theory as any rack produced after 1997 that is the original 2.7L/L will make it crumble.

At this point, I really don't know what to believe. I didn't want to claim any of this as fact until I have definitive proof due to the nature of BSery I've been reading all over the web on these racks. So far, most of my information has been hearsay with a couple sprinkles of hard facts, so I wanted to ask the gurus on r3v for clarification.

The rack in question I've bought is a 1996 Z3 1.9 Rack. Just really want to know I'm getting the real deal and getting the original 2.7L/L, not an e36 3.2L/L or a shortened 2.7L/L that only has 44.5mm travel.
    Last edited by JinormusJ; 08-23-2013, 06:46 PM.

You just schooled me on them.
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Why don't you just measure your rack to answer your own questions?
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Because I don't have the rack yet...
        I've asked the yard to hold it for me until they can get pictures and send me the part number. They said they would as they have not pulled it yet, so I'm SOL until Monday when they eventually do and reply back. I was hoping to get a definite answer BEFORE paying for a rack that may or may not be the one I'm looking for

If I wanted to do that I'd have to wait til Thursday until I have it it my hands, which... I may have to seeing as not a lot of people seem to present hard evidence about this rack/
        Last edited by JinormusJ; 08-23-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

this seems like reliable info...
          Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

i got the 96 Z3 rack from a 1.9. its 2.7 lock to lock and from what i can tell its not linear..
          Now with 2.7i power!!!

Comment

FWIW, Mine came off a 1999 BMW Z3 2.5L (Build date 09/1998, VIN 4USCH9338XLG00304). The part number on the plate was 32131092031. It was original, not remanufactured. ZF markings, silver in appearance.

I bought it specifically because I installed one in my friend's car and it was for sure a 2.7 turn. When I was shopping for mine (on ebay) I cross referenced the pictures the seller had to the ones my friend took and they were identical. Also, the price was awesome.
            "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. " - Han Solo

Comment

Since there was too much risk invoked on the last one, I ended up finding another Z3 rack locally; tested out to be 2.7 L/L, 54.5mm travel. Came off a 1999 2.8.

Ended up getting a picture of the last one this morning and the two racks looked exactly the same; 1996 Z3 1.9.

I guess the best method to check IS just to try it out yourself; it seems these things are just random; more often than not though, any given Z3 will likely have the 2.7 L/L rack, and not the shortened e36 2.7 or the e36 3.2.

Comment

Bumping an old thread, currently going through the same issue as OP, looking to get the Z3 2.7 L/L linear rack in the near future. Does anyone have anymore info to add to this to ensure I get the right rack?

Comment

i've had the e30m3 rack in an m3 only, an e36 m3 in an e30, an e36 normal rack in an e30 and a z3 rack. the e30m3 was mehh at best. the z3 rack is noticeably different from the other e36 racks but not any better feeling. after getting/driving it, i dont get what people are on about, with it feeling twitchy. heck, id like a faster rack than it. the non linear was better for straight out freeway driving but if you want to have fun with an e30, skip all the middle ones and get a Z3 rack.
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Nsquared97 View Post
                    Bumping an old thread, currently going through the same issue as OP, looking to get the Z3 2.7 L/L linear rack in the near future. Does anyone have anymore info to add to this to ensure I get the right rack?

Z3 2.8 rack is the one you want.
                    Part Number ends in 031; that's generally what they are marketed as aswell: "Z3 031 rack". I'm willing to bet all 6-cylinder Z3s came with the 031 rack (minus the Z3M). 2.7 L/L; linear steering, tight turn radius: Amazing. Buddy just did his 031 aswell and absolutely loves it. His came off a 1998 3.0

I see more of the 031 racks coming of off 6-cylinder z3s, however, experience dictates that some 1.9s had them aswell. You will clear all confusion if you can verify the part number: All true-blue 2.7 L/L racks end in 031.

Only thing that's better is the Z4MC, but ain't nobody got muney for dat
                    Last edited by JinormusJ; 03-23-2014, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I bought a rack from the junkyard off of a random Z3 for $75. No idea which Z3 and which model year. It is an original BMW rack with goldish tubing and is 2.7L/L if not less (seemed to be closer to 2.5L/L, possibly it was just dirty at the inner stoppers). I haven't checked the travel but it is linear. I'm currently rebuilding it with all new seals, boots, tie rods and steering angle spacers for more travel. Will provide pics and part numbers as soon as I'm done. It was in pretty good condition no leaks or play and had fresh boots installed.

EDIT: Here's the tag on the rack. This is all that was written.

G28RP2B11
                      8J04B2M0143

Last edited by Q8y_drifter; 03-23-2014, 05:56 AM.
                      Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

That's the one

Feels/looks like 2.5 at the pinion; transitions to 1.3ish total travel to Lock and 2.7 L/L at the wheel

Comment

Edit:
                          Tapatalk doing some weird shiz
                          Last edited by JinormusJ; 03-24-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone, it is very much appreciated!

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                            i've had the e30m3 rack in an m3 only, an e36 m3 in an e30, an e36 normal rack in an e30 and a z3 rack. the e30m3 was mehh at best. the z3 rack is noticeably different from the other e36 racks but not any better feeling. after getting/driving it, i dont get what people are on about, with it feeling twitchy. heck, id like a faster rack than it. the non linear was better for straight out freeway driving but if you want to have fun with an e30, skip all the middle ones and get a Z3 rack.
                            Cabrio, my car is pretty heavily used for autoX, which is why I have been deadset on finding the linear unit. Should make a huge difference over what I have now. Hell, when I jumped in a friends E36, my first run or 2 I was running over cones because the car turned in that much quicker.

Jack, what tie rods did you use? I am planning on just getting all new inners/outers, regular E30 units are fine, correct? I don't need extra angle or anything like that.

Comment

If you're AutoXing; Z3 031 is the one to get. The turn-in from the linear rate is just so responsive, it's almost ridiculous. E36 is a decent upgrade over stock e30 as it is quicker, but linear Z3 is by far the quickest of the budget rack swaps

PERSONALLY. I would upgrade to the beefier e36 rods. You can use e30 rods, but they are pretty weaksauce in comparison. I was going to reuse mine until I saw how much nicer the e36 ones were.

They go for the same price range anyway, so if you're upgrading the rack, I would just splurge and upgrade the tie rods while you're in there. They don't add extra angle or anything; that's what camber and offset control-arm bushings do. E36 rods are simply beefier.

E36 rods

Do it
                              Last edited by JinormusJ; 03-24-2014, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X