Critique my setup!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Critique my setup!

I bought my first e30 5 months ago, so I'm still new to the game. I apologize for the noob questions. My goal is to make her a fun daily. Once I've finished the swap, I might take her to the track, but it's more of an afterthought right now.

What I got:

- 1988 325is auto (I have an S50 and g260 ready to swap in after I sort out
    the suspension)
    - Billy Sports
    - H&R Race
    - Z3 rack

I want to replace as much as I can while I'm at it, so here's what I think I need:

- Blunttech suspension rebuild kit:
    control arms and bushings, tie rod assemblies, trailing arm bushings, F&R
    sway bar end links, rear subframe mounts, and locking tabs
    - AKG Rear subframe and diff mount bushing set 85A, part: #SFDS308
    - Rear shock mounts
    Do I need 10mm or 12mm?

Is there anything I'm missing?

...and can anyone provide some input on drop hats vs camber plates? With this setup, would I need to get camber plates?

Comment

you won't need camber plates with h&r races. i'm running h&r race, drophats with 205/50/15 tires. for shock mounts the lifetime ones from Bimmerworld for $40 are nice. do your strut bearings while in there.
      Last edited by meengreene30; 09-20-2013, 09:43 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

front pic
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

Good advice. Thanks for your help

Comment

I did do camber plates with mine (also have drop hats). I did this to reduce excesive inner tire wear on the front tires. I also added the rear toe/camber kit when I rebuilt the rear subframe and all related components. With the H&R race springs you will also benefit from offset control arm bushings up front.

A bunch of negative camber looks cool and handles well, but will destroy tires when street driven. To answer your question, camber plates are not required, but I would recommend.

I think you're taking the right approach with rebuilding the suspension all at once, saves time in the long run. If you're going to track it, get bigger sway bars too.

+1 on strut bearings

I would also get the rear shock mount reinforcement plate.
            90 325i DD/Track
            03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
            It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

when I want to camber plates, when I maxed out positive I actually have more front camber than with standard shock tops. weird.

Comment

I bought camber plates (IE street), M3 CABs, BMP tailing arm bushings, Powerflex rear subframe mounts, and IE rear shock mounts.

603Racing, where did you source the rear/toe camber kit from? And I thought toe was the tire killer, not camber...

Looks like I still need to get strut bearings and rear shock mount reinforcement plates. Any recommended suppliers come to mind?

Comment

When lowering the rear with H&R race, the combination of toe/camber was bad on tires. My kit came from IE, i went with the locking one. IE has reinforcement plates. Just get the bearings from a general parts retailer... AutohausAZ, RMEuropean, etc.
                  90 325i DD/Track
                  03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                  It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

603 you're the man. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
                    X