Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED High-pitched squealing noise - power steering pump dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED High-pitched squealing noise - power steering pump dying?

so I replaced my power steering fluid the other day with valvoline ATF (blue bottle from autozone), and now I think my power steering pump is squealing loudly.

I drained the system, filled up with fresh power steering fluid, and emptied the system again and refilled to the correct level.

now the power steering pump will intermittently squeal when revving (and also falling back down to idle). it will also squeal extremely loudly when the steering is turned at full lock to either side.

the pump is also running a brand new v-belt. I think it's tensioned correctly, but not completely sure. going off deflection, it deflects about 0.5"-1".

does this mean I need to replace the power steering pump? did I use the right fluid? it wasn't squealing before I changed the fluid

turns out, my alternator belt was too loose and it was squealing. must've gotten looser when I tightened my power steering belt. all squealing noise gone, however, I think my alternator is about to kick the bucket. thanks for everyone's help!
    Last edited by mike87; 10-03-2013, 05:09 PM.

squealing or whining ? if it is whining that would be pump related, if its squealing, its belt related..make sure you didnt spill oil on the belt..also make sure the belt is 1. the correct belt and is properly tensioned

Comment

Originally posted by Mthrizzle View Post
      squealing or whining ? if it is whining that would be pump related, if its squealing, its belt related..make sure you didnt spill oil on the belt..also make sure the belt is 1. the correct belt and is properly tensioned
      how do I know it's properly tensioned without a v-belt tensioner gauge? haven't had any luck searching for an answer... what should deflection be? should i be able to turn the belt sideways by 45 degrees? 90 degrees?

it's just strange because before I flushed the fluid, the system didn't squeal at all. could there be air trapped in the system?

thanks!

Comment

You probably got fluid on the belt. Generally squealing is caused by fluid contamination, too little tension or worn/improper belt. Or any combination of the 3... Try tightening it a bit and see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X