z3 steering rack swap in airbag e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z3 steering rack swap in airbag e30

so i took my steering rack out of my 90 325i and when i got to taking out the knuckle i came to realize that my car was in fact equipped with an air bag. i didnt know this until i read a couple of threads saying that most e30s 90-up, were all equipped with an airbag.

i came across this thread showing the metal plate in the fire wall that holds the seal in place being modified so the rack can fit:
    http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-e30-steering.aspx

My question is, has anyone done this swap before WITH an airbag e30? is there already a thread about this? the search function can only do so much..
    sigpic

Bump
    sigpic

Comment

Answered my own questions. Thanks.
      sigpic

Comment

I will be doing this swap on an airbag car in a couple weeks. Did you just cut the existing plate or fab a new one? If you made a new one what did you use?
        '90 325is

Comment

Originally posted by Hoffbrohaus View Post
          I will be doing this swap on an airbag car in a couple weeks. Did you just cut the existing plate or fab a new one? If you made a new one what did you use?
          Im actually on vacation right now but will be tackling this wen i get back. I was going to fab a new piece out of some sheet metal. I was thinking about making quite a few extra and start a thread on here to sell them to all the airbag e30 owners.
          Last edited by cgk_iii; 10-04-2013, 09:20 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Just pop out the plate and cut the hole to be a little larger. I don't remember which side, but it was pretty easy when I did mine.

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
              Just pop out the plate and cut the hole to be a little larger. I don't remember which side, but it was pretty easy when I did mine.
              You haven't experienced any issues with doing that? I haven't found much on this topic so whatever's more effecient will do
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X