1986 325es needs new shocks/struts/springs/whathaveyou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 325es needs new shocks/struts/springs/whathaveyou

So I go in for an oil change and my mechanic tells me both front springs are broken. I haven't had opportunity to closely inspect, but certainly they're effed and I'm going to replace them post-haste. I want to replace it all, struts, springs, bushings, everything between the tower and the knuckle.

But with what?

I got the car a few months ago and I don't see any aftermarket parts on it. It's been pretty well kept and runs great. I'm looking for a suspension feel that might be called "grand turismo" style. Sporty and firm, but for the road, not the track. I want to be able to drive long distances, comfortably, and still take a corner somewhat aggressively. I have no interest in lowering the car at all. I want to drive, not ruin my tires on the fenders.

What should i buy? I'd prefer new, but also not hugely expensive. If I can keep the parts to < $500, great. Really, the cheaper, the better, but if not, I'll deal with it. I looked at Raceland coilovers, but I don't know the difference between "coilovers" and "springs" or even just the difference between shocks and struts (yeah, I'm going to wikipedia in a minute...)...and coilovers seem to be part of the whole lowering/stance thing, which I'm not interested in.

What parts would you get to outfit an e30 in such a manner?

Email me and id be glad to discuss your options
    We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
    www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blunttech View Post
      Email me and id be glad to discuss your options
      this OP, he is a master at pleasing men
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

How would you not know that your springs are broken? The car would be sitting likely be sitting on the front bump-stops and be TERRIBLE to drive... I question the mechanic.

A shock absorber serves to dampen the ride and vehicle body movement upon the springs. A strut serves the same purpose as a shock, but also is the controlling pivotal member of the suspension connecting the control arm to the body. A shock will typically be seen with upper and lower control arms, and a strut will typically just connect the body and single control arm. "Coilovers" are a packaged shock/strut and spring, usually with adjustable height and valving.

As for a suspension setup, Racelands can be decent if you are just driving on the street and not doing any autoX or track racing. I had a set on my Miata and for daily driving purposes they were fine. I still prefer a static height shock and spring though, coilovers really are designed for racing purposes where you will be constantly adjusting height and settings.

Comment

Working...
        X