Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering problem

Problem: Power Steering

So I have a problem in which I have lost most to all of my power steering in my e30. When I lost it, the fluid levels were half full, I then filled it up and turned the steering wheel lock to lock several times. Turning right sucked in the fluid and turning left made the fluid go back into the reservoir, which I assume meant there are no blockages in the lines.

After I had lost the power steering, fluid was dripping from the bolt that connects the steering shaft to the rack and not the boots, which I have squeezed.

2 days after, the leaking has stopped. But the power steering sometimes works and other times it doesn't. Mostly 98 percent of the time it isnt working.

Could this mean that my pump has gone bad? How can I fix this problem.

Have you checked the power steering belt for glazing and correct tension?

Fluid dripping from the rack input shaft suggests that the rack needs to be rebuilt. I don't know of an easy way to test the pump as there is no convenient way to attach a pressure gauge. Swapping in a know good pump is probably the easiest diagnostic.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I looked at the power steering belt and it is in good condition.
      I hope that the rack does not need to be rebuilt, do you know the cost involved in such task?

Comment

Working...
      X