Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC Camber plates install

Hey all,

I picked up a very nice set of the GC camber plates on the For Sale section last week. Very nice plates, but i am not 100% sure how the install goes.

For my old setup, i was running IE camber plates with the OEM tophat, which uses bearings that the strut rod bolts to. These bearings help the strut rod turn when the car turns. However on the GC plates, it seem that the strut rod just simply bolts directly to a washer and the rubber bushings.

Is this the way they are intended to be installed? With the strut rod nut being torqued down directly on the bushing? Any help would be appreciated

thanks
    '99 e46 323i - wrecked
    '87 e30 325iS - sold
    '91 e30 325i - sold
    '89 e30 M3 - fun car
    '09 e91 328i - sold
    '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
    '08 impreza - new rally car
    '01 996 tt - more fun car
    '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Touring plates?

I'm happy to help...
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GCMARK View Post
      Touring plates?

I'm happy to help...
      Yes please. Touring plates. Doesn't the strut rod need to pivot? Isn't this why there is a bearing on the OEM tophats?

What is the correct installation procedure for these plates?

I'm just curious of the design. Oh and I am installing these with GC coilover kit as well.
      '99 e46 323i - wrecked
      '87 e30 325iS - sold
      '91 e30 325i - sold
      '89 e30 M3 - fun car
      '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

It is hard to say what GC plates you have. There are two variants, race and touring. The race version uses a solid bushing for the strut shaft.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

The strut rod does not need to rotate, only the body and spring need to move. Beleive it or not, spherical bearings in race plates do not rotate either...unless they are worn. The strut/spring rotation is facilitated by a large axial bearing in the upper perch.
          Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

The strut rod does not need to rotate, only the body and spring need to move. Beleive it or not, spherical bearings in race plates do not rotate either...unless they are worn. The strut/spring rotation is facilitated by a large axial bearing in the upper perch.
            Interesting, well i think you answered my question then, thank you!

I was just worried about that strut rod rotating, but if its ok to just crank those nuts down(lol), then i will do so.

Yes i did notice the large axial bearing for the upper perch, i thought that this was part of the design but wasn't sure. Thanks again for the clarification!
            '99 e46 323i - wrecked
            '87 e30 325iS - sold
            '91 e30 325i - sold
            '89 e30 M3 - fun car
            '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

Anytime! Good Luck!:)

If you have more questions, feel free to call me... 530-677-8600
              Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Anytime! Good Luck!:)

If you have more questions, feel free to call me... 530-677-8600
                Hey quick question, how tight should i torque down the nut on the strut rod? It seems like i keep tightening it and it keeps going down, but when i turn the strut assembly (as the car would turn normally) the nut seems to want to back it self out.

How tight should that nut on top of the GC plates be and what prevents that nut from backing itself off?
                '99 e46 323i - wrecked
                '87 e30 325iS - sold
                '91 e30 325i - sold
                '89 e30 M3 - fun car
                '09 e91 328i - sold

Comment

What struts are you running?

There are different center bushings for different shaft profiles. IE; flat, tapered Bilstein, etc...

If your dampers are different than what the plates originally were built for, you may need different bushings.

Feel to shoot some pics to my email...mark(at)ground-control.com. I'll make sure you have what you need for them to work properly.
                  Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

I look forward to the day when I get a good GC setup and have that sort of willingness from a company to support me. You guys at Ground Control rock
                    -------------------------------------------------
                    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
                    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

Working...
                    X