Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions about refreshing the suspension in my 318i

Hey R3v,

The time has come for me to refresh the trashed OEM suspension on my '89 318i DD. I have been reading through all the threads here while trying to decide which purchases to make, but I still have a few questions.

I have decided to go with the H&R race + Bilstein sport combo offered by Turner Motorsport as it's the cheapest I can source a quality spring/shock combo shipped to Australia, which will stiffen the handling and give me some low.

From what I understand, this setup can result in some reverse rake on later models and many owners pick up the E90 drop hats, remove their front spring pads and add an extra set of rear spring pads to rectify this. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll pick up the E90 drop hats (due to some owners having issues with them), though if I do I'm going to leave the spring pads in. I also understand that, having an M40, my 318i won't sit quite as low in the front as an M20 car.

I also found this build article which uses the exact components I plan on picking up.

Given the final result of that build I don't think I'll bother with the extra set of spring pads in the rear. Hopefully my 15x7 with 205/55 will fill those gaps a little more.

The question now is, when I refresh the front CAB, do I go with centred or offset bushings? I don't fully understand the whole camber/correction issue yet. Also, what other components should I be refreshing at the same time? I've seen a few people recommend changing the tie rods and ball joints as well.

Thanks for any and all help.
Working...
X