Clicking Noise when Turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking Noise when Turning

I just recently got my car back on the road after having the front end apart all winter. Redid brakes and new suspension and I noticed that when I turn right there is a slight clicking noise from the front passenger side wheel. The clicking gets faster as I speed up.

The noise only happens when I am turning right. If I am driving straight or left at all there is no noise.

Any opinions as to what this could be?
    Last edited by bigredguy; 04-08-2014, 06:51 PM.

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Sounds like a worn axle. Do you have any torn axle boots? You may be able to save it if you replace these and repack with grease. When you take them apart you'll see if anything is broken....
    My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Did you have an alignment done ? I would jack it up and rock the wheels to feel for anything loose.
      sigpichttp://www.germanaudiospecialties.com/

1986 325es :early:

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
        Sounds like a worn axle. Do you have any torn axle boots? You may be able to save it if you replace these and repack with grease. When you take them apart you'll see if anything is broken....
        I will check if I have a torn axle boot. If it is torn what all needs to be replaced? Also what could be broken on the axle and any idea how it could have happened?

EDIT: I somehow forgot to mention that it was the front passenger side area making the noise. Not sure if you still believe this could be the case

Originally posted by Dakotademon7 View Post
        Did you have an alignment done ? I would jack it up and rock the wheels to feel for anything loose.
        I put the car back in the garage for the week. This weekend I will get to it and get it jacked up and look a little more into it. And I have had one hell of a time finding a shop to align it because of how low it is, but I have an appointment saturday to finally get it aligned.

Any other possible reasons for this clicking? Just want to look into everything while I am home with the car for the weekend.
        Last edited by bigredguy; 04-08-2014, 06:52 PM.

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

"Clicking" while turning is most often a CV joint within the axle. You can try to replace the boot and repack it with grease and see if it goes away. You'll need to order a boot kit. They come with grease...

When you remove the axle, cut the boot open, and spray brake cleaner on the joint, you'll be able to see if anything is broken. If it looks okay, then put it back together and give it a shot.

If you click on the link in my sig for steering rack replacement, I gave a description and pics of how to replace the boot.

FYI - If you do this on your own, wear rubber gloves and put something down on the table/bench so you don't get axle grease everywhere. It is absolutely filthy and manages to stain worse than any other grease I've worked with...
          My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
            "Clicking" while turning is most often a CV joint within the axle. You can try to replace the boot and repack it with grease and see if it goes away. You'll need to order a boot kit. They come with grease...

When you remove the axle, cut the boot open, and spray brake cleaner on the joint, you'll be able to see if anything is broken. If it looks okay, then put it back together and give it a shot.

If you click on the link in my sig for steering rack replacement, I gave a description and pics of how to replace the boot.

FYI - If you do this on your own, wear rubber gloves and put something down on the table/bench so you don't get axle grease everywhere. It is absolutely filthy and manages to stain worse than any other grease I've worked with...

Thanks from searching I couldn't find anything specifically about e30s having this problem but people suggested the CV boot was the cause for other cars.

Which CV boot is most likely the one needing replacement if the front right side is clicking? I'm assuming the front right cv boot but I just wanted to make sure.

Also how bad is it to drive on it once I order the part and I'm waiting for it to be delivered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

If it is truly coming from the front, then I vote wheel bearing.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
              i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
              Originally posted by slammin.e28
              Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                If it is truly coming from the front, then I vote wheel bearing.
                Both of the wheel bearings were off when I had the front apart and they both seemed good and made no noise. It wasnt until the car was back on the ground and actually driving that the clicking began. And yes, I did spin the wheel prior to putting the car back on the ground

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

Up. Anyone else have suggestions? I'll be checking cv boots and I'll rotate the hub to make sure it's not that or just something hitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INSTAGRAM @ merlow_

Comment

Working...
                  X