alignment issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alignment issues

to start, I've got an 88 325is on CX racing coils. I recently started having an issue where it feels like my car is bouncing up and down at lower speeds and it pulls to the right pretty hard. once I get around 55, it shakes like a bastard, still pulling. I just had it aligned today and I'm still having the issue. my front camber is at -3.0° both sides and the toe is within .01° on each side. the caster was a little out of whack (around 6.8°), but it obviously can't be adjusted without plates and they were even regardless. I also had the wheels balanced just in the off chance it would cause that much of a problem. the rear end wasn't touched, but the specs weren't bad, though I can't remember the numbers exactly. camber was around -2.0°. did I possibly bend or break something, or could caster make this happen? it's been a pain in the ass.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Post the alignment numbers for each of the four wheels. While severe asymmetric tire wear or pressures can cause the car to pull, the more likely cause is alignment. And to say anything about that we have to have the numbers.

A bouncy feeling is worn shocks, though out of round wheels/tires can do that at low speeds. But in that case there should be vibration as the speed increases.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I'll get the alignment numbers in a minute. I initially thought out of round wheels (I put new wheels on fairly recently), but I had them all balanced today and they were fine. it's not so much a bounce as it is the feeling of driving down a dirt road. the shock is still stiff

Comment

here are the alignment specs. I'm getting camber/caster plates so I can fully adjust everything to OE specs, but is there a chance I just broke/bent something?

Comment

I se this sort of thing at my job often. These are my recommendations based on my experiences, your particular situation may differ.

On your own, jack up the front of the vehicle (both tires in the air) and have someone shake each wheel vertically and horizontal. I don't mean turn the have wheels, I mean shimmy them. While the shake side to side hold the outer tie rod, if you feel a knocking on the tie rod, start with that. While the shake up and down, hold the LCA with both hands closest to the ball joints, if you feel the knocking, R&R the LCA.

While the car is in the air spin each wheel as fast as you can and look at the tire from the front (not facing the wheel) and see if you notice an imbalance in the tire (one side worn down more than the other, maybe the tire is hopping). You might have tire imbalance (different then wheel imbalance). Spin it one more time and hold the spring with both hands (front axle) if you feel excessive vibration you need wheel bearings.

Also, check the the rubber bushing on the upper mounts of the CX Racing coilovers.
          Make sure all the nuts on suspension components are tight.
          Inspect the shock towers (front and rear) for cracking.
          Check the lower steering joint.
          Make sure all your wheels are torqued to spec.
          Make sure all your tires pressures are accurate.
          Use a tape measure and verify the height of each corner matches is opposites. For example. If the rear left is 310mm, the rear right must also be at 310mm. **Ride height is measured from bottom lip of the wheel to the heightest point of the fender lining gap (measure in the center)** i'll post a picture if you're not sure what I mean.

If after you install the caster plates and realign the car, the issue persists. I recommend you to adjust the height of vehicle to OEM specification and realign the car.

**Also, count the adjustment threads on the tie rods, they should almost match**

That's all I can think of for now, I hope this helps.

Comment

Your problem is the rear wheels. The right rear has excessive camber and toe as compared to the left. That will cause the car to pull. With the springs you have I'd say that the left rear wheel is about where it should be and that the right rear is work. That could be from bad bushings or a bent trailing arm/subframe.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I checked the front end and found some side to side play in the passenger side wheel. I also noticed most of the bushings were bad, so I'm replacing control arms, bushings, ball joints, and end links. I had the tyres balanced, so they would have noticed if anything was out of round. pressures are all good. I'm going to make sure the ride heights are even when I get home from work today. hopefully this will all resolve the issue. thanks a million

Comment

Working...
              X