Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might need to change springs...

I have an 87 cabby.

I'm on H&R race (coupe) springs - love the stiffness and handling, hate the drop height (cosmetically great, but these roads SUCK in NE, and I scrape everywhere - and yes, I know how to drive a lowered car.)

I'm considering swapping them for H&R sports (coupe, 50406) but I don't want to lose handling or stiffness - just want the car to ride a bit higher.

Here's what I'd like:

H&R race spring rates, drops

H&R sport (50406) spring rates, drops

H&R sport (29664) spring rates, drops

Cabbie specific H&R sports (50407) spring rates, drops

Pics of any of the above setups - bonus if it's on a vert.

I appreciate any help guys...

How much higher do you want the car to be? You could just double up on spring pads if you only want it a little higher.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver
      How much higher do you want the car to be? You could just double up on spring pads if you only want it a little higher.
      I considered that - though the car is stupid low - H&R races are an agressive drop initially, then with the added weight of the cabrio things just go lower. How thick are the spring pads? ie how much higher could I raise the car with them? I think bringing the car up about a half inch or so (the front is probably at a 2" drop right now) would suffice...

Comment

Spring rates:
        H&R Sport : 182/343
        H&R Race : 315/570

For a more streetable ride height and real stiffness, your only option is GC's. Just do it right the first time, you'll love the ability to fine tune the ride height and spring rates.

Comment

Well, 10mm pads (available OEM) will raise the car about 1/3 to 1/2 inch if I'm not mistaken, and they don't cost much. Consider it.
          This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

i'll trade ya for some bav auto's ;)
            ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
              For a more streetable ride height and real stiffness, your only option is GC's. Just do it right the first time, you'll love the ability to fine tune the ride height and spring rates.
              I agree with Jay, but also with Andrew. If you don't have the cash or feel like swapping to GC's, throw some extra spring pads in there, it will bring you up some.

Comment

Ha, now you understand why I went through all the trouble to raise up my car? Id go with the spring pad idea at least initially, seeing as your car is only a summer car. If that doesnt work out Id get the cabrio specific sports, I love the handling and spring rates on my OE sports, and they should at least be similar to what the sports would be like on a cab.
                Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                  Spring rates:
                  H&R Sport : 182/343
                  H&R Race : 315/570

I can't justify completely overhauling an already well done suspension to gain a half inch of height. I LOVE this setup - it's just too low on the car. I think I'm going to grab new spring pads and see if it helps. Remember, I'm using coupe springs on a vert - the rear is heavier and I'm sure goes lower than a coupe's. Check my pics in the member's rides.

Don't get me wrong Jay - if this car was on stock suspension, I'd go GC's the first time and call it a day. But the bilsteins and H&R's were on the car (thanks again Dave ;)) and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. It handles like a dream - it just scrapes like a bitch ;)

Seeing the MUCH higher spring rates on the races, I've got to see what I can do about the spring pads - I don't want to go to a softer spring.

Originally posted by MrK
                  Well, 10mm pads (available OEM) will raise the car about 1/3 to 1/2 inch if I'm not mistaken, and they don't cost much. Consider it.
                  Any p/n on the 10mm ones? Just want to make sure I buy the right ones...

Originally posted by asubimmer
                  i'll trade ya for some bav auto's ;)
                  riiiight....I rode in someone's car with bav springs. swore I'd never do it again ;)

Originally posted by Eurospeed
                  I agree with Jay, but also with Andrew. If you don't have the cash or feel like swapping to GC's, throw some extra spring pads in there, it will bring you up some.
                  :up:

Originally posted by FifeDog236
                  Ha, now you understand why I went through all the trouble to raise up my car? Id go with the spring pad idea at least initially, seeing as your car is only a summer car. If that doesnt work out Id get the cabrio specific sports, I love the handling and spring rates on my OE sports, and they should at least be similar to what the sports would be like on a cab.
                  Yeah, but your car was on the cup kit - which was STUPID low, and soft as hell. At least my car is stiff!

I'm gonna try the new spring pads - even a little rake would be nice :evil:

Comment

This is true, and I had the busted oil pan as a result. Im happy with the car higher now.
                    Back to my roots

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerfanatik
                      Any p/n on the 10mm ones? Just want to make sure I buy the right ones...
                      Rear 10mm pads: P/N 33531136387

Ain't none for the fronts, sorry. Then again I assume your major problem lies in the rear height anyways, so it's all good.
                      This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

Originally posted by MrK
                        Rear 10mm pads: P/N 33531136387

Ain't none for the fronts, sorry. Then again I assume your major problem lies in the rear height anyways, so it's all good.
                        Much obliged - and yes, it's the spot where the cat-back meets the cat that really scrapes...bringing the rear end up a bit should help ;)

Comment

FWIW- I'm absolutely loving 450/550 GCs at ~.75 lower than stock ride height.
                          BEERTECH

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                            You're also a few miles south of here, Rob - those spring rates are killer with the potholes we face up here. I'm not worried about the ride - I can handle that. I'm more concerned with physically damaging the car with an impact like that ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                              Yes!

When I had the car setup higher than stock with 300/440 GCs, it was amazing. Bottoming became a non-issue, I was throwing the car around like no other.

Comment

Working...
                              X