Suspension pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension pros and cons

Hey guys, so I'm putting in new suspension soon and I've been debating between the billy sport/H&R sport combo and a GC system setup. I use my car mostly for DD but would like to autoX it in the future. I'm just wondering what the pros and cons of going with each setup would be regarding ride height, ease of installation, ride quality and stuff like that with money out of the equation. Oh and it's a '90 325i 4 door if that helps at all. Thanks in advance!

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

I would highly recommend finding r3v'rs in your area who would take you for a ride in their respective cars to get a real world experience of the different suspension options. When it comes to certain topics in the automotive world, the discussion borders on a religious war...

Oil weight/brand/composition, Wheel selection, and suspension brand discussions tend to bring out the most extreme, opinion slinging, insult throwing, fanatical believers in their respective choices.

When it comes to suspension, it largely comes down to what trade-offs YOU are willing to make in terms of comfort vs performance. Getting firsthand experience with the respective product is the best way to determine what works for you.

Comment

Why don't you just buy a knock-off brand?
      What it feels like owning an e30:

88 325 S50 swap in progress
      90 325ix

Comment

What you want for a good autoX/track car and what you want for a DD are fundamentally at odds, though a compromise between those needs may yield decent (not good) performance in both worlds.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

coilovers can be more comfy than oe style...just depends on spring rates...

JL is right..its hard to do both DD and then ax or track..

do Hr race and koni or billie as a good combo...or do c/o's w/ mid level rates .

c/o offers way better options to mod in future.
          I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

I was in your position, and I went with H&R Race springs and Bilstein shocks.

The car works well on most roads, and handles well. I wanted a simple non-adjustable setup, so I didn't go with coilovers. I'm satisfied with my decision.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys! Really appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              sigpic

Comment

I had eibach pro kit with billie sports, hated it, too soft. Running 500f 800r with camaro mr2 AGX's and love it. If I were you, I'd do the H&R race with camaro mr2 KYB AGX shock combo, cheaper than billie's unless you get them revalved and adjustable.

RIP 02/25/15
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...16#post4356816

Comment

Working...
                X