Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strut cartridge not coming out, how to remove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut cartridge not coming out, how to remove it?

I have been trying to replace my front struts and springs. I only have to get the old strut cartridges out of the housing.
    Took the large outer nut off holding the cart in but the cart will not come out. It will turn and compress in but not pop out.
    Idk how to remove it and don't want it to shoot out across the room or something.
    I have it locked into a vice atm, the only way I could get the outer nut off with a pipe wrench.
    I have a butane torch to try and heat up the strut housing,I already soaked it in pb blaster as well.
    Last edited by R1ckM; 06-08-2014, 02:18 PM.

It should just slide out, but could be rust on the inside. Nothing will come shooting out, so go ahead and yank on it. Make sure the vise isn't squeezing the strut tube and binding it.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
      It should just slide out, but could be rust on the inside. Nothing will come shooting out, so go ahead and yank on it. Make sure the vise isn't squeezing the strut tube and binding it.
      Ok, checked the vice to make sure nothings bent. I was thinking about getting a chain wrench and putting it around the thread and trying to get the collar nut back on over it and pulling it out that way
      Or vice gripping the threaded end of the insert and pulling the whole housing.

I feel I may get injured either way since I am a 190lb man and can really get into it.

I may just drop it off at the shop tomorrow and get them to do it.

Comment

Working...
      X