E30 wandering left to right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 wandering left to right?

I'm going to start off with saying my right front control arm has been knocking up the wall lately and I have replacements with offset bushings for both sides.

Description of problem:
    I went for a little spin just to drive and I took one hard right turn at ~35 mph and accelerating and then I was cruising at ~45 mph and the car just had a mind of its own going left to right without my control, almost floating. I know my control arm needs replacing but is it what is causing the problem?

Also, I had an alignment done about 10 days ago and here is the print out they gave me (I don't know what the specs are, as in I can't make heads or tails of it)
    [IMG]Alignment by eberlcoezack, on Flickr[/IMG]

If I need to get on and get some other parts going, let me know, thanks!
    1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
    BMW

The alignment works, but if your bushings are questionable, those fresh alignment settings will get all messed up.

You need to put your car on a lift, and inspect every bushing, front and rear. Any cracking, tearing, or other disintegration needs to be addressed. Also look for any body/subframe damage/cracking. Something is moving underneath, and it could become a serious issue at a moments notice.

Comment

Originally posted by dewme5 View Post
      The alignment works, but if your bushings are questionable, those fresh alignment settings will get all messed up.

You need to put your car on a lift, and inspect every bushing, front and rear. Any cracking, tearing, or other disintegration needs to be addressed. Also look for any body/subframe damage/cracking. Something is moving underneath, and it could become a serious issue at a moments notice.

I just put in a new rear subframe/diff/adjustable camber/toe on the trailing arms/ and replaced only the subframe mount bushings. The trailing arm bushings are from a car with 53,000 miles, they're fine. All of my sway at bushings are trashed.
      1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

I was just about to say why is your rear toe so bad and how the heck did they correct it.
        Other than that you said it. Your control arm is jacked. Yes they can "fix" your front toe but if your control arm is messed up the fix is temporary. Which you undid by taking that turn hard which tells me the bushings and or one of the ball joints is bad or the arm is bent. I'm leaning towards bushing/ball joint

Inspect the front bushings, Replace the arm, get an alignment.
        DENY IGNORANCE!
        Schwarz 325-totaled
        brilliantrot 318i-daily

Originally posted by mkcman17
        don't think your hamster wheels are fast now. you will still have to give up when trying to pass that V6 odyssey to make your offramp.

Comment

Originally posted by kwill22 View Post
          I was just about to say why is your rear toe so bad and how the heck did they correct it.
          Other than that you said it. Your control arm is jacked. Yes they can "fix" your front toe but if your control arm is messed up the fix is temporary. Which you undid by taking that turn hard which tells me the bushings and or one of the ball joints is bad or the arm is bent. I'm leaning towards bushing/ball joint

Inspect the front bushings, Replace the arm, get an alignment.

Will do. Just making sure I don't need any more parts. I have my bushings and control arms ready.
          1991 325i Calypso Coupe

BMW

Comment

Working...
          X