X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing IE stage 3 race springs Front Only

Hi Everyone,

I just acquired a pair of Ireland engineering stage 3 race springs. FRONT

I was wondering what are the implications of installing just the front springs? my 1989 325i is all stock so i wasnt sure if there was any weird dynamics/interplay/implications/etc when you've got different springs in the front.

also, does anyone know if this is an easy install, aka remove old springs put in new ones. Because that is exactly what i plan to do if I don't dig up any issues...

Springs in reference:

THanks!

better to have front and back springs that are meant to play with each other. in your extreme case with ie3 fronts and stock rear the rake is going to be ridiculous and you're going to have a front end that will not have much roll while your rear will be squishy. it will have a bouncy rear.

in regards to the install it's pretty easy if you know your way around suspension.
    ballsy with slight danger = impact gun
    safe and by the book = spring compressors
    sigpic

Comment

The handling and fore/aft ride heights will be all screwed up. Really bad idea.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I drove my old car like this for week or so while I was waiting for parts. It's driveable but isn't anything I'd want to keep long term.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
        1988 325i Vert
        1991 318is Slicktop

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
          better to have front and back springs that are meant to play with each other. in your extreme case with ie3 fronts and stock rear the rake is going to be ridiculous and you're going to have a front end that will not have much roll while your rear will be squishy. it will have a bouncy rear.

in regards to the install it's pretty easy if you know your way around suspension.
          ballsy with slight danger = impact gun
          safe and by the book = spring compressors

so perhaps i can find another pair of rear springs?-- one that is more stiff. OR should i definitely get the rear IE3 springs?

Anyways, looks like I won't be installing these. I will probably find a rear set or sell these ie3's. thanks again everyone for the advice!

edit: also, why are people cutting coils off the spring? I feel like this would seriously mess with the spring constant/physical properties of the spring...
          Last edited by xcx4x; 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM. Reason: added question

Comment

Cut springs for the lowz. It's not the best answer but it ain't the worst answer. Just don't do it to stock springs unless you want blown shocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
            sigpic

Comment

I'm running ST fronts and IE adjuesters in the back with 600# 2.25" springs in the back. The front springs i have are nearly the same rate as yours, and with the 600# springs in the back the ride and handling are awesome. If you keep stock springs your car will drive like shit.

Comment

When you cut a spring, you increase its rate. The rear springs can't be cut though as they are honeycomb shaped.

H&R Race springs are identical to IE3's, so you could get a rear pair of those as well and ti will work.

Definitely get shorter struts or your stock ones will blow if they aren't already. You will basically be sitting with them almost completely compressed all the time, so as the springs compress over bumps, the struts bottom out.

Comment

Working...
                X