Anyone Cut Their Stock Springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Silver Wagon View Post
    two things now, one is some spacers i made at work to aid me in installing the stock strut assemblies into the car without having to drop the control arms again. just put new ones on. the other is a pair of Eibach front springs just showed up in the classifieds, waiting on a response there. the other factor is getting a replacement strut assembly. depending on the time it takes for that to get here will also determine what route i take.
    are you not using spring compressors? For the stock springs you should use compressors to get them back on and you shouldn't need to drop the control arms, I've done it many times without removing them. You need to disconnect/reconnect the ball joint from the strut housing but not remove the control arm from the body.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
      I have a set of unmolested strut housings with good wheel bearings I could sell you if you are interested...
      thanks, but the shop that gave mine away has a replacement coming.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
        are you not using spring compressors? For the stock springs you should use compressors to get them back on and you shouldn't need to drop the control arms, I've done it many times without removing them. You need to disconnect/reconnect the ball joint from the strut housing but not remove the control arm from the body.
        the spacers are so the threaded part of the compressors don't hit the body making it impossible to shorten the assembly. kinda hard to explain, i'll snap some pics tonight. i might be getting the Eibach springs and i need to wait until Tuesday for my replacement housing so i may not need any of this after all. so many decisions now.
        sigpic

Comment

If you're installing lowering springs you won't need compressors. They're shorter and it will actually droop and be loose during install.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by glnr13 View Post
            If you're installing lowering springs you won't need compressors. They're shorter and it will actually droop and be loose during install.
            that's why i wanted to cut my springs in the first place. i am lining up several things in case one or more don't work out.
            sigpic

Comment

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

-NICK

Comment

thanks for the link, lots of actual info there.

well i was able to procure a set of front eibach springs from a member here. they will be arriving at the same time my replacement housing get here. so it looks like i won't be cutting my springs after all.
                sigpic

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X