Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New eccentric bushings -- control arm bracket won't line up

Hey gang,

Just reinstalled the front subframe and am putting new control arms with new eccentric AKG poly bushings on.

I've bolted the center ball joint to the subframe, installed the eccentric bushing into the bracket/lollipop (with set screw), and pushed the new bushing onto the control arm (all the way on).

The problem is -- the bracket doesn't make it to the mounting holes now. It looks to be a few mm off, but I can't figure out a way to get it any closer.

Here are some photos:

I've marked up the last one to show the gap I'm trying to overcome. It's not precise, as the bracket does get closer than what's shown -- but even when pressed closer it hits the little protruding guides that are over the mounting holes.

I've tried:
    - rotating the bracket around the control arm end
    - unbolted the subframe and hitting it with a mallet towards the front of the car in case there was a little wiggle room there
    - unbolted the subframe hoping that lowering the center ball joint would provide enough room at the end of the control arm to pass over the guides
    - tried getting the bolt in there to use it as a guide but it's not close enough to get past the protruding guides
    - ummm... did I mention rotating the bracket?
    - oh, and I double checked the part numbers to make sure I had the right control arms

I'm not entirely sure where to go from here. Looking for suggestions.

Could rotating the eccentric bushing in the bracket help? It doesn't seem like it would affect the placement, but I'm not sure (and don't want to remove it all and reinstall it if it's not going do anything).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Som
    Last edited by Som; 11-13-2014, 11:35 PM.

Is the outer ball joint installed in the spindle?

Try bolting up the bushing bracket first before either ball joint?
    sigpic

Comment

this is very common. nothing is wrong. stuff just moves around on the strut end that you need to correct.
      move the strut around to get the outter one to align. throw a bolt in it and then use the leverage to get the inner one to pop onto the guide.
      Much wow
      I hate 4 doors

Comment

Thanks for the responses!

I had already bolted down the center ball joint when I tried this. The strut isn't actually even installed yet, so I have full range of control arm motion.

I was hoping not to have to remove the center ball joint bolt because this is on the driver's side and that one is a nightmare to tighten/loosen.

I could try removing the center ball joint and fitting the bracket first, but I'm concerned that I'll then have a problem getting the center ball joint to fit.

I guess I gotta try it, though. Don't see any other options.

Som

Comment

I have found getting to lollipop to line up can be a real pain. So I mount it first, then install the control arm ball joints. The unmounted control arm gives you some leverage.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

That worked! I removed the center ball joint and did the bracket first. The shaft for the ball joint didn't slide in as easy as when I did it first, but nothing a few light hits from a soft mallet couldn't fix.

Also, one of the big pains the first time around with the center bolt was that the shaft kept spinning, so I had to get an Allen wrench in there to hold the shaft. In that limited space, and with only being able to rotate the 22mm wrench an 1/8th at a time, it wasn't something I wanted to redo. Plus, it's a nylon lock nut.

Anyways, this time around the bolt came on and went back on without the shaft spinning, so that made it easier. Oh well on the nylon nut -- gonna live dangerously! :)

Thanks everyone for the help!

Som

Comment

Working...
            X