Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tight steering/not centering

Hi guys,

I just bought a new 91 318i. Everything in the e30 is prefect and well maintenance. However, there's one thing that annoys me a lot. The steering is not centering itself when turning or and steering is somewhat hard to turn and tight. I ask the ex-owner, he said it worked for him. The only thing he changed one day before he sold it to me is he changed the steering wheel (he had a aftermarket one and he changed back to the OEM).

I tried to loosen up the steering nut that holds the steering wheel, and the steering wheel became a lot easy to turn and would center it self back 90%. The steering wheel would be wobbling if I loosen it. Do any of you guys know what could be the problem?

Thanks.

probably missing the steering spacer.

edit: non airbag car?
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
      probably missing the steering spacer.

edit: non airbag car?
      Steering spacer? Are u referring the number 4 in the picture?

It is an airbag equipped car.

Comment

If you have an airbag equipped car and change out the steering wheel, you need x2 #4's now to be able to utilize your new wheel.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
          If you have an airbag equipped car and change out the steering wheel, you need x2 #4's now to be able to utilize your new wheel.
          I have 1 #4 in the wheel right now with the airbag steering wheel. Are you talking about if I have a aftermarket wheel?

I am still using the OEM wheel, but I will change it to aftermarket after figure this out.

Comment

Working...
          X