Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z4 Steering Rack for Airbag Cars - Who's Done It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z4 Steering Rack for Airbag Cars - Who's Done It?

I've read through the threads here and on e30tech about how the Z4 steering rack is awesome, self-explanatory, and easy and what not, but I haven't seen anyone definitively do it that has an airbag car. I'd like to get confirmation that it actually works before I shell out the money to buy the parts.

Anyone here can lend some more clarity for those that have airbag cars?

Thanks,

Ian

Did you have to notch the firewall?

Comment

I'm still trying to decide what direction I want to go with my late model car as well. Definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

Comment

I am getting ready to do a replacement on my airbag car very soon (and I do not want to cut my firewall). I am waiting for the new motor mounts to arrive and I will swap the rack when replacing the motor mounts as the process requires lowering the subframe and / or raising the motor. I will try to post some rack replacement pics when I do the swap.

From reading the many write up on line, it seems that the reason folks are cutting the firewall is because they are moving the steering column more toward the center of the car to accommodate the new location of the spline for the Z3 rack. I have also noticed that when folks are reusing the existing coupling, they are not sliding the coupling it all the way down the Z3 spline. Both of these conditions may indicate that the original coupling may now be too short to accommodate the different geometry of the newly installed Z3 rack.

I have been looking into several aftermarket universal joints / couplings that may improve this - ie not have to cut the firewall and be able to connect to the full length of the Z3 steering rack spline. Once I get the new rack installed, I'll take some measurements to see if my theory is correct. Pictures will help - as this is difficult to explain.
        Last edited by mikerob97; 02-11-2015, 04:49 AM.
        Mike
        Cary, NC
        Current Rides
        1991 325iC - For Sale
        2006 M3 Cabriolet
        Past Rides
        2000 323i Touring - Daily Driver
        1994 325is (S50) - Fast Car
        1998 Z3 - Fun Car
        1986 325e (i engine conversion)
        1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

Thanks for clarifying it a bit for us Mike. I'll be staying tuned to your progress.

Comment

Is this thread about a z3 rack or z4 rack?

Comment

Good point - does the Z4 rack have significantly different geomerty on the splined end than the Z3?
              Mike
              Cary, NC
              Current Rides
              1991 325iC - For Sale
              2006 M3 Cabriolet
              Past Rides
              2000 323i Touring - Daily Driver
              1994 325is (S50) - Fast Car
              1998 Z3 - Fun Car
              1986 325e (i engine conversion)
              1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment

here's some good info from wangan about z4 racks:

Comment

I would love to get a quicker ratio rack, but I also do not want to cut my firewall.
                  Please update the project when you are done.
                  Thank you!

Comment

I have seen a member that did not have to cut the firewall. I believe it was with a e36 rack tho. He put the spacers on the bottom instead of the top and that raised the rack enough to the point where he didn't need to cut the wall. Then another member said that was bad for bump steer. But in theory if you have a lower car and raise the rack up with the washers it will keep the tie rods more parallel. I'm going to give this a try and see if there is any binding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a pain to cut the firewall with the engine still installed but honestly, it's much easier to do that than play with spacers and hope it doesnt screw up your handling.

Comment

Working...
                      X