Loose steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose steering wheel

I'm running what felt like when I first bought it, a stiff no ps steering rack. I did an alignment and got my tires rotated but the wheel itself is really loose

Any help?

Comment

Video?

Like excessive steering wheel lash? Side to side...

Or the steering wheel has vertical play?
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

tie rods. When car is in the air, shake the wheel with the ignition locked. Grab the sides and push/pull the wheel like it would be turning. Excessive movement indicates worn tie rods.

2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I replaced everything tie rods, new front control arms, poly steering guibo, new shocks and springs, top hats, alignment, wheels balanced.last thing I could think of is my rack and pinion.

Comment

there is a flex disc in your steering that if havent been replaced you can verify if thats loose. common on e46 to have that "loose" steering wheel

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
              I'm in the same boat. I replaced everything tie rods, new front control arms, poly steering guibo, new shocks and springs, top hats, alignment, wheels balanced.last thing I could think of is my rack and pinion.
              Sounds like a worn rack and pinion to me as long as everything else is all tightened up.

OP, I'd take a look at the rubber connector on the steering column, as well as both steering knuckles. Just have someone wiggle the wheel while you look at that area of the column and see if there's excessive play anywhere.

Here's a visual:
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
              X