Steering Wheel Vibration/Shake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheel Vibration/Shake

Hey I have an 84 325e with all new bushings, ball joints, tie rods, and control arms. I was experiencing the shake/vibration before installing new parts thought it would get rid of it, it's at highway speeds and very severe, All four wheels have been balanced twice and none are bent, steering coupler is fine and no warped rotors. I think it may be my coilovers when they were welded one was not welded on straight so the right wheel on the car is pointed slightly outwards can this be the problem? If so wouldn't I be experiencing this at any speed?
    (All engine and tranny mounts are rubber)
    Any opinions are appreciated

did you get an alignment after refreshing the suspension?
    sigpic

Comment

What wheels are you running? Hubcentric?

Have you checked the CSB(center support bearing on the driveshaft)? When it goes bad, it can shake the car quite violently...

A badly modified/ bent strut housing will cause pull and/or eat tires, but usually won't create any significant vibration.
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Yes I did get an alignment after the suspension refresh, running Apex Arc-8 I believe they are hub centric with H&R 8mm hub centric spacers. Driveshaft looks fine but wouldn't the shake be felt at any speed if it was the CSB?

Comment

...just brainstorming.

I just replaced a CSB on my buddies IS that only raised it's ugly head on the freeway.

Have you thought about a dynamic balance to rule out other parts on the rolling assembly?

Wheel bearings been replaced?
          Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Never heard of a dynamic balance. Yes all four wheels bearings, hubs, diff mount and both axles have been replaced.

Comment

Could it be the steering rack?

Comment

Dynamic Balance is when they balance the wheels on the car.

If there is play in the rack and pinion you can get some shake, but your description sounds more extreme than what I have ever experienced...
                Suspension tips here...

sigpic

Comment

Does anyone else think it's the steering rack? Not trying to spend that much money on a rack and it's not the problem...

Comment

How old are your tires could be a broken steel belt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Brand new tires lol Toyo Proxes R1R

Comment

Working...
                      X