New Suspension Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Suspension Installation

I'm posting this as an "online" journal of my new suspension setup on my 89 325is. It's a bone stock car that is being transformed into an auto-x/track car. This is not my daily driver and if I do drive to work - it's only a mile away, so everyday comfort is not a huge issue.

Here's a before shot:

I ordered the whole street suspension package from Flying Brick Performance. I added Koni shocks, IE Stage 3 springs, IE 25/21 sways, poly rear bushings, and poly CAB's.

Now, I'm just waiting for all the parts to arrive and then we'll have some fun!

Tom
    My new blog site: http://www.tomperso.com

Not much of an update as I'm still waiting on the IE stuff, but I did get the Koni's in. I put the car up on jackstands and started soaking everything with PB Blaster.

In addition to the suspension setup, I have a set of Falken RT 615's mounted on the basketweaves and Hawk HP+ pads all around on it. Major improvement on the stopping aspect of things.

Tom

Comment

this is a great thread for me. i'm about to do the exact same thing. Keep posting your progress.
      1989 US E30 Cammed S52
      Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Comment

track rat

do your "poly rear bushings" incl sf and rta?

are you going to use any camber plts? youll enjoy the camber

I did this all to my 90 last yr and have been tracking her since. You're gonna love her.

You may want to remove all the tar in trunk...@ 50 lbs!

good luck.

I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

OT: what size falkens do you have mounted on the 14x6.5 weaves? Im int he market for tires for my weaves at the moment.
          TIA.

Comment

Sorry about the delay in the reply, I need to watch this page more.

Still waiting on the IE springs, but I got everything else. I did get camber plates, so I'll be enjoying the needed camber... :)

The Falkens are 195/55R-14's (as I recall) on the stock rims. They're a little shorter than stock, but it's welcome for the extra torque.

Right now, I'm landscaping around our house and our first baby is due in a month, so I'm racing to get started on the car. Just need to set aside some time for it.

I'll be moving once I get the springs in.

I also ordered new control arms, tie rods, and M3 CAB's.

Tom

Comment

Not a whole lot of progress here, but I did get the old suspension out and I'm ready to start putting the new in. I'm starting up front first.

Out with the old, in with the new (sometime this year). :o

IE 25mm sway bar installed:

That's all for now!

Tom

Comment

Good to see I am not the only one who lays on old cardboard under the car.!!
                Current Cars
                2014 M235i
                2009 R56 Cooper S
                1998 M3
                1997 M3

Comment

Coming from an ACVW background, I'm used to laying down anything that is disposable (including myself :p ) under the car.

Scrubbing oil stains off the garage floor is the pits.

I tried priming my brand new built 2270cc T4 motor, only to forget to put the oil filter on.

I lost a good quart of oil on the garage floor. That makes for a GIANT oil slick. I had to make a dam out of kitty litter.

Tom

Comment

Keep us posted, should make a great thread for a how to.
                    Back to my roots

Comment

Hey

Nice Bug!!!!!!
                      I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

tip: lube up that anti-roll bushing real well, I wish I had done it more thoroughly the first time. It can introduce a good bit of friction in to the suspension.
                        318is -gone-

Comment

An exciting update today...

I originally ordered the IE Stage III springs. Flying Brick Performance stated they were on backorder, but were due to come in soon. I decided it was OK to wait since I'm not pressed to get this back on the road *right* away.

Once the word came in that the testing of the springs failed, we struck a deal to upgrade to a GC coilover setup. A HUGE thanks to Daniel at Flying Brick Performance, he's a pleasure to work with and is always quick to respond to emails. I'd highly suggest him to anyone.

I just got them in today, so naturally, I had to do some work. ;)

These are just mocked up - I cut the spring perch off, ground down the remaining and fit everything together.

I'll take it all apart, clean up the strut, and shoot some paint on it.

Spring rates are 400 front, 525 rear.

Comments, suggestions, etc, are always welcome.

Tom

Comment

Any welding required on the fronts?

Comment

I hate you.

THat is all.

Flying Brick Kicks ass! Daniel saves another day!! :D
                              - Sean Hayes

Comment

Working...
                              X