Whick Koni SA part #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whick Koni SA part #s

OK I'm trying to order some Koni SAs for my '91 325i while they are on sale, but there is some confusion as to which part number I need. Koni lists different part numbers for standard and M-Tech suspension, but it seems at least one major BMW retailers sell just the M-Tech rear shocks saying they are for all E30s, with other retailers typically offering both part numbers. Does anyone there know which would be best for a car with standard suspension and lowering springs? I am also having difficulty finding definitive info on what the difference is between the standard and M-Tech suspensions where they would require different dampers beyond the M-Tech cars sitting lower. Is one shock shorter than the other?

I guess it is definite I need the 8641-1021SPORT for the front, but for the rear do I want the 80-2522SPORT (standard) or the 80-2641SPORT (M-Tech)? I am ordering from a wholesaler so I need specific part numbers.

Thanks so much for any info.
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

1021 and 2522 would be correct for your car...

Keep in mind, 2522s are compress to adjust and must be removed from the car when adjustments are made.
    Suspension tips here...
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DRTSRFR View Post
      1021 and 2522 would be correct for your car...

Keep in mind, 2522s are compress to adjust and must be removed from the car when adjustments are made.
      I wondered about that. The Konis I've had before all used the knob on the top, but my roommate's VW bus Konis you have to twist the whole body.

What's with the M-Tech setup anyway that its so different from regular it requires different dampers front and rear? I know it doesn't effect me, I'm just really curious.

Thanks for the info.
      sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

I never had the opportunity to experiment with the MT specific Konis.
        I can't imagine any huge difference as the rates for all of the other models only vary a small amount. The suspension geometry and hardware is essentially the same across all models except the IX.

If you want top adjustable in the rear, GC has them custom made by Koni Holland. Periodically, if there are extras, they will sell them separately. The part number is 1225spgc.
        Suspension tips here...
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info. I don't need top adjustable that bad, I seldom adjusted my last set, go soft for road trips or whatever, but I'll live without it. The way the E30 is set up its not gonna be bad to adjust.
          sigpic

Comment

Whick Koni SA part #s

I asked Koni about the differences between the part numbers a few months ago and this was their response. Needless to say, Koni kills it with product support.

"1. Basically, yes. The listing is carried over from our European catalog the differences between all of the shocks and inserts listed are fairly minimal.

8641 1021SPORT vs. 8641 1210SPORT

The main differences between these is that the 1210 is 20mm shorter in max length (min length is the same). The 1210 is also slightly firmer in compression versus the 1021 but the difference isn’t enough to where I would recommend/not recommend one over the other.

80 2522SP1 versus 80 2641SPORT versus 80 2522SPORT (bonus!)
            The 2522SP1 is 10mm shorter in max length versus the 2641SPORT. The 2522SPORT is 40mm LONGER than the 2522SP1. The min lengths are all identical between the three of them. The valving between the two 2522s are identical and both are slightly firmer in rebound than the 2641SPORT. Compression is the same.

2. The listing we have for the E30 M3 is the 8641-1210SPORT and 80 2522SP1. Given that you’re planning on running those springs, it will be fine for the setup that you’re looking at. However, does the M3 spring make the front sit a little lower in the 325is due to the heavier engine? In either case, please make sure that you run a factory bumpstop on the front struts. Thanks."

Comment

Working...
            X