Issue with the lows - Recently installed lowering kit on cabrio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with the lows - Recently installed lowering kit on cabrio

Hey guys, so I have a dilemma and would like some input as to the direction I might need to take my build.

I recently did a full overhaul of my 1990 325i cabrio consisting of the following items:
    • Sourced entire subframe assembly - with 4.10 LSD, poly bushings
    • New clutch (wasn't thaaat bad to do)
    • E36 steering rack
    • Ireland Engineering stainless brake lines
    • Ireland Engineering big-ass sway bar kit with reinforcements (the rear isn't hooked up yet though and from what I've read that's fine)
    • Mason engineering X-brace (plus skid plate) and Strut bar
    • Billet rear shock mounts
    • Treehouse Racing LCABs
    • New control arms
    • Various new bits as needed
      and last but NOT least
    • ECS budget lowering kit circa 2012 - with Speedtech ST Springs and KYB Shocks

Also I already had upgraded to 16x8 wheels that fill the arches nicely, this is important.

So everything got buttoned up after about 4 weeks, I was super excited to get it down on the floor. Previously, EVERYTHING was stock OEM 25 years old. The car floated down the road and was the opposite of the Ultimate Driving Machine. As I lowered the car off the jack, the front went low. And then lower, and then even LOWER. The kit promised 1.5" of drop, but this has to be closer to 2.5" up front. I did not measure beforehand though.

The car is currently sitting at 4.75" from floor to front pinch weld, and 6.75" from floor to rear pinch weld. Yeah 2" of rake on my German muscle. I am going to give the car two weeks to settle before I really judge the rake though, I know the rear needs time.

OH and the caster from the Treehouse LCABs forced me to remove the lower inner fender liner. I don't mind that the tires rub that just a bit, I can always go to solid Offset LCABs in my OEM lollipops to fix that if I can't figure out a good long term solution for putting it back in. I have to cut it up to fit around the skid plate anyways.

This car, IMO, looks awesome at the front (ignoring the rake) but I am kind of afraid of longterm DD'ing it at that height and caster. The two times I have taken it out, it feels lightyears ahead of what it used to be. But I don't want to be blinded by all the shiny new parts and do what is best for the car. As in not eating tires and blowing out my new control arms.

Any opinion on how to continue down my current path? Of all the jobs, I am fine with replacing the springs/shocks. Compared to the other work I did, it's the easiest job. So should I use the KYB shocks and find a new spring kit? Or just drive it?

I see a future "staysideways" reinactment :thankyou:

Comment

Sounds like those springs are shot, or badly engineered. A Cab' will usually squat in the rear as a result of the added weight.

In my opinion, Cab's don't respond well to firm, or solid bushing applications, as they increase the harshness and tendency to twist of the already flexy chassis, even with additional bracing. As you firm up the suspension, the chassis will see more flex.

Unfortunately the soft KYBs won't help much either when driving athletically.
      Last edited by DRTSRFR; 09-30-2015, 08:26 AM.
      Suspension tips here...
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X