strut bars ......school me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strut bars ......school me

are they worth it? anybody running strut bars on their e30s? notice a difference? do you think its worth it? if so which ones to get?

thanks in advance
    Originally posted by ebelements
    Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

i got one on mine.
    got it for $100cdn.
    i noticed the front being a little stiffer when going hard through a corner.

Comment

Sparco or any non hinged. I didn't notice any noticeable difference.
      Eye candy.

Comment

I felt like the front end was stiffer. I would take a guess that maybe the amount of miles on the car and how well it has been taken care of over the years. I say this becuase strut bars seem to get mixed reviews and like I said I could feel a difference.

Comment

rear does nothing, but the front helps heaps (i found). makes it jump around less over bumpy road, and behaves more predictably, especially under braking.
          JUNGL3

1990 "333i" Sport

Comment

Originally posted by egk2
            Sparco or any non hinged. I didn't notice any noticeable difference.
            Eye candy.
            i agree. i'm sure it helps, specially if you track the car.

1991 330is

Comment

I also did notice that the front end seemed to act as one when going over some of the bumps on my usual routes around town. Before the strut bar it would be like both sides the car would get rocked, and now it is like one bump when I hit a deviation in the road.

Comment

i hearsay it increases understeer while tracking...but then again someone with real experience chime in...i want one

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

Just the front it will create a touch of understeer.

I prefer a little understeer when I drive though ....

Comment

Originally posted by Maeda
                    Just the front it will create a touch of understeer.

I prefer a little understeer when I drive though ....
                    How will a front strutbar create understeer?

Through a hard corner many forces are being put into the front suspension. These forces will cause things to flex, therefore your suspension geometry will change (like camber, for example).
                    The strutbar just acts as a brace for the strut towers through a hard corner, so that they don't flex as much.
                    Since your front camber won't change as much, the front tires should have more traction causing a little bit more oversteer.

-Erik

Comment

The front camber will change just as much to compensate its the chassis that does the flexing, and you're right in your head it sounds dumb but driving my ass off has proven that it creates a touch of understeer.
                      Just like removing my rear bar helped me lessen oversteer.

Im not going to pretend to know what i'm talking about other then thats what I felt tracking cars for a long time.

Comment

I thought the rear bar was useless because it's completely separated from the springs?
                        Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
                        EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
                        FullOpp Stickers for sale!
                        NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
                        Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
                        ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

rear bar is useless because the seatback does the same thing in our cars.
                          Current Cars
                          2014 M235i
                          2009 R56 Cooper S
                          1998 M3
                          1997 M3

Comment

Yah sorry, I forgot to mention all my experience may not apply at all because i havn't had the pleasure of tracking an e30 yet.

Comment

In my convertible I can't say I felt any performance difference, but I did notice the front end was a bit stiffer over rough terrain.

And really don't bother with anything but a 1 piece bar. The sparco is great because it holdes the sides of the strut tower and not just the tops. Plus it's cheap (relatively).

'88 325is
                              VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                              BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Working...
                              X