91 318is front driver side noise when turning right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 318is front driver side noise when turning right

My 1991 318is has a humming noise coming from the driver side front suspension area. It is noticeable when the car is at speed and making a right turn. The noise gets louder the harder a turn you make at speed. It also feels like there is some friction when this noise is occurring and you can almost feel the car slowing down mid turn when the noise is happening.

I am by no means an experienced mechanic but will likely be forced to become somewhat competent as this E30 needs a few things before I can daily drive it. I would like to reach out to all on the forum and see if you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
    Jason

Most likely a wheel bearing.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, do you guys think I should just replace the bad one, or do all 4 on the car at the same time?

Comment

Originally posted by jshock03 View Post
        That's what I was thinking, do you guys think I should just replace the bad one, or do all 4 on the car at the same time?
        Start with the front one and see if that solves it, no need to throw that much money at it all at once.

Comment

Thanks, that's what I will do.

Comment

I'm having this same problem: a low moaning noise coming from the front right wheel. The sound is there when going straight, gets a bit worse when turning right, but goes away when turning left.

I thought it was a wheel bearing but if that were the case the noise should come from the passenger side when turning left. However, my noise comes when turning right and going straight.

I put the car in the air and checked the wheels for up/down wheel play and got none on both sides. Both also have marks indicating wheel bearings have been replaced (the car has 200k). Also my brake pads look good.

One of my tie rod boots looked weird so I took it off and a ton of thin black fluid came out. I know my steering rack is on its way out but could it be the cause of the noise?

I've replaced front struts, upper bearings, tie rods, and brake pads/rotors within the past two years.

Any ideas? I'd rather not jus throw money at the problem but if I have to a rack would be an okay place to start seeing as how I need one anyway. Something tells me this is going to be a multi day project with a ton of other seals being replaced at the same time...

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Delfin, I replied in your thread in more detail, but both of you have bad left front wheel bearings.

jshock, With as bad as yours sounds, i'd imagine you have play in the left front, and can definitely hear noise if you spin the left front with it off the ground.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
              X