Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full suspension rebuild/upgrade finished, a few alignment questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full suspension rebuild/upgrade finished, a few alignment questions...

Hey guys, I'm just buttoning up a full suspension overhaul on my 1987 325is.

My goal is to have it set up for daily street driving with frequent canyon/back road runs and an occasional auto-x or track day.

Here's what I've done so far:

CAtuned coilovers (7KG front/8KG rear) which are camber and damping adjustable
    New front control arms with stock centered lollipop bushings
    Ireland Engineering 22mm front/19mm rear adjustable sway bars
    OEM rubber subframe and trailing arms bushings
    Posi-lock style toe and camber adjustment tabs for rear subframe
    **E46 steering rack swap planned soon

My first question is regarding the front and rear sway bars. I'm not exactly sure what a good starting point to set these adjustable endlinks at is. How should the bars be oriented when the car is on the ground? With the arms parallel to the ground or is there some other method to having a properly adjusted sway bar? The front bar itself has three hole settings which affect how stiff it is, what would you recommend would be a good setting for my intended use?

Also, once I have the E46 rack installed, I should be ready to get a final alignment on everything. Can anyone give a recommendation on alignment specs that I should shoot for so that the car handles well but doesn't necessarily eat through my tires during daily driving? Just trying to find a healthy balance for my goals.

Thanks in advance for any input and helping me get my car set up properly!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Arms parallel, end links adjusted so there's no preload on them with the car on the ground. Set the front bar full stiff and the rear full soft to start with. Alignment is a little subjective and depends on what you're willing to compromise on. The front will want as much negative camber as you'll give it (mostly), and with 0 toe tire wear should be somewhat controlled.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by e30_302 View Post
      Arms parallel, end links adjusted so there's no preload on them with the car on the ground. Set the front bar full stiff and the rear full soft to start with. Alignment is a little subjective and depends on what you're willing to compromise on. The front will want as much negative camber as you'll give it (mostly), and with 0 toe tire wear should be somewhat controlled.
      Thanks man! That's very helpful

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Working...
      X