• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering issue

93 325ic
    just put new bilsteins and h&r springs on all 4's
    new control arms, solid mount offset FCABs, new tie rods, shock mounts
    Ireland engineering sway bar kit front and rear.
    took the car in for an alignment the next morning

the issue I am having is steering is very stiff and it will not return to center

I am very positive I put the washer in before the shock mount as they spun when installed on the strut with no resistance, and I dont have an extra washer laying on the floor.

Could this be from all new ball joints that need to be broken in or is there an issue and where should I look?

The joints on the control arm were extremely stiff, but that shouldnt effect steering?

Did you get an alignment?

Check to see if it's stiff on both directions or just one.

Also check your power steering
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Got it aligned
      Same stiffness in both directions.
      Power steering is full

Comment

I had a stiff steering, non-centering issue. Sprayed a bunch of white lithium grease on the steering coupler u-joints and that fixed it.

Comment

I will try that tonight, but lowering the car should have no affect on the u-joints and the steering was smooth as butter before.

Comment

Also with the front tires off the ground and engine off I can turn the wheel fairly easily.
            Last edited by blauplow; 06-01-2016, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Check to make sure there isn't any interference somewhere if it only happens at ride height.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Go to napa. Grab some white lithium grease. Pop hood. Spray steering u joint. Rotate wheel. Spray. Fixed?
                20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Sprayed the shiznit out of the u joints. And no effect.

Comment

Working...
                  X