Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 suspension help and advice

Hi Everyone!

i have a 1989 325i coupe with stock 15" basketweaves with 205/55/15 tires... i am looking to slightly lower the car and improve the stock suspension... I have purchased H&R OE sport springs to lower the car just 1"... now i need advice on the shocks/struts...

this is my daily driver, the car is stock and will remain stock... i want a comfortable drive, with a little improvement to the existing set up (as the stock suspension is kind of soft and rolls a lot)

any advice on which shocks/struts will be a good match to the springs and the kind of drive i want?

thanks in advance!!!

In 2009, Bilstein Sport was all the rage - tried and true.
    6 years later, a lot of people complain that they are a bit harsh and now flocking over to Koni shocks.

I think it's the same people who are just getting old and tired. Both great shocks. Koni's seem to handle spring better without compromising comfort too much. I don't know if their warranty has changed though. I also think they are having a 20% off sale at the moment.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Yah, i have tried an e30 with the bilstein sport shocks, a bit too rough for me, but the car was much lower than 1" drop... i am sure that made a difference also...

Comment

Originally posted by Shaunt23 View Post
        Yah, i have tried an e30 with the bilstein sport shocks, a bit too rough for me, but the car was much lower than 1" drop... i am sure that made a difference also...
        Quite possible. Suspension travel is a thing. A terrible thing if shortened.

I'll be trying Koni's out very soon.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

so, between the Koni adjustables and the bilstein sports (newer improved version)??

is it worth trying the Koni's for the price? or try the bilstein sports? the difference in price for the set is $120 more for the konis...

Comment

im also on the water about which route to take i terms of struts and shocks.

Im currently holding (not in the car) Ireland Engineering stageIII springs, theyre quite aggresive, BUT CONTEMPLATING WHAT to pair them up with...

Any ideas, I've done some extensive searches, but have only managed to come with mixed reviews.

By the way, would be for spirited driving.

Comment

My setup uses E30 M3 springs, Koni Yellows and UUC sway bars on Euroweaves. I use it as a daily driver and the ride is comfortable, handles wells and has the right height. Only recommendation is to buy the springs new from BMW; while a little more expensive than HR OE's which I had, this setup was better for me.

Comment

I'm in the same boat on figuring out what I want to run.

Komi yellow adjustable a have my attention.

Are many people running a coilover set up with the e30 with success?

-E
                -ALaS

Comment

Maybe try some bilstein tourings? They are rated to be 10% stiffer than stock. Its what I'm running on my car with stock springs... no complaints, very nice ride.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                  (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Working...
                  X