E36 rack swap steering knuckle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 rack swap steering knuckle help

Previous owner installed an E36 rack. When I purchased the car 3 years ago he quickly rambled off something along the lines of stacking washers and that he rigged it to work. I'm not sure what he meant then or now on what he rigged to get it to work. Maybe he meant follow the guides on modifying it like here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=66247

It's a '91 with airbag. I'm doing an engine swap so I have easy access to this. Reading through other threads I was expecting my knuckle to have been modified but it seems untouched. Do I need to do anything to this?

Side note - There was play in the steering wheel going left and right, not sure if replacing just replacing the coupling in the knuckle would fix that. Tie rods have been replaced.

As always, thank you for everyone's help!
    E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

An Associate/Bachelors degree is America's most overrated product

Iirc air bag cars just need spacers on subframe so the washers he stacked would be in between the rack and subframe. Your intermediate shaft isn't modified

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
      Iirc air bag cars just need spacers on subframe so the washers he stacked would be in between the rack and subframe. Your intermediate shaft isn't modified
      Thanks for the reply! I'll check that location when I get home.
      E30: '91 318is - M52/ZF320 | Azev A 16X7.5 | H&R Race/Bilstein | Completely refreshed suspension/brakes/drivetrain

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
        Ah, this product makes sense now! http://www.akgmotorsport.com/product...ls-spacer-kit/

That led me in the right direction. Thanks again!
        Last edited by AllydNYC; 06-10-2016, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X