Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice ordering Struts/Shocks

1988 325i Convertible

Here's the story..newbie to the e30 world and novice when it comes to working on cars. I'm the type to learn as I go. Well any who..it's bout that time to replace the shocks. For the record, I'm not planning on upgrading the struts, just going towards the stock ride. I did some research and found out that I needed the 51mm struts, but my question is that before I place the ordered, do I need anything else such as the shock mounts (rattling noise). Also, I seen bump stop on the website and wasn't sure if I need them or not. I just need advice on what else to order besides the struts/shocks set. Btw...I'm planning on just going with the Sachs brand to keep it original.

Hey! Welcome.

So, the best way to do this job is to just change everything. For an excellent quality OE-type replacement shock/ strut cartridge, you're going to want to look at Sachs and Bilstein Touring line. If these are out of your price range, I believe many people have used KYB with success.... and Monroe, if youre feeling really cheap. Stay away from the super super cheap setups though, like Stagg and SenSen. Those are just plain dangerous.

So, for a proper full refresh, you want:

Front:
    -Strut cartridges (should include the collar nut and mount nut- no need to buy seperately)
    -Bump Stops (yes, you need these, unless installing Bilstein HD line)
    -Dust Boots (needed if installing bump stops)
    -Upper and lower spring perch insulators
    -Strut mounts (go with Lemforder brand-- the best)

Rear:
    -Shocks (depending on the brand, you may also need to purchase bump stops and dust covers if they dont appear to be the 'built in' type with metal sheathing)
    -Shock mounts (again, Lemforder)

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

since you're pulling the shocks, you should minimally do the strut tops in front, and the shock tops in the back, and the rear shock mounts from an e46 in the back. Get the shock mount gaskets too.

Get sachs struts. OEM. They're great.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the spring pads in the back, both upper and lower, and also getting the rear control arm bushings for the fronts. get the offset m3 version.

Comment

Working...
      X