Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 rack install

FYI for those wanting to do this.

In the previous post I mentioned that I recently picked up a Gold tagged e46 rack. Apparently used in the 330zhp and the 320D as well. I may have been used in other models but I can only confirm these 2.

Today we finally got around to the install. Sorry, no pictures taken but I don´t think there is a need as other rack installs have been documented. It goes on the same as the e36 rack with the exception that while you can use the e46 inner arms, you need to use the e36 arms on the outside as we found the e46 arms too long.

The rest of the install was pretty straight forward using rack spacers: There was no need to notch the steering shaft joint or bend the ps pipes. I replaced only the reservoir and left the ps hoses as they were in good shape.

Impressions: Very little movement is required to send the car shooting across the into the next lane. ( we measured about 3 turns lock to lock) The twitchiness at highway takes a bit of getting used to, but with time it shouldn't be an issue. Just don´t fart or sneeze at highway speeds.
    If you want an improved experience out of your e30, this is should be high on your list.
    Last edited by spanish pants; 08-07-2016, 02:49 PM.
    My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
    http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Thanks for posting this, good to hear. Do you feel like it's too twitchy?

Also, you didn't say in your post but I assume you had to shorten the steering knuckle as well, correct?

I was going to get one and drop it in but didn't want to make it too over the top twitchy as I still drive it to and from work on the daily...

Comment

I should have mentioned that the car is a Euro 318is and didn´t require any shortening of the knuckle. Almost a complete plug and play setup except for swapping out the outer arms.

Coming from the slow e30 rack it does feel a bit sensitive to sudden steering input but i am getting used to it. I don´t think i would want to try a z3 rack.
      My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
      http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Working...
      X