Do I need a Skid Plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need a Skid Plate?

Okay, so I'm a noob but have been doing a lot of research on lowering set ups. I plan on lowering my 87 325e ~1.5 inches or so and I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have pictures of an e30 with about that much drop?
    Ive looked but can't seem to track down anything that says specifically it has a 1.5 inch drop

2. Will I need a skid plate?
    This car is my DD so cracking my oil pan would be bad news so I just want to make sure and get a full list of things I need to purchase.

3. If I do need a plate, where should I pick one up?

Thanks.

Mine is lowered 2 inches, and my Red46 skid plate paid itself off within a few weeks. Can't always see things when you're in unfamiliar places and I 100% would not be able to enjoy driving my car as much without it. Taken nice big loud thuds and all the fluids my M20 spills on it without rusting.

1.5 is the ideal height for a street car imo. When I had springs and short tires, it hit everything. Now half an inch up it's a rare happening but every now and then I get an unpleasant surprise. Another half inch would be perfect for an all purpose car, could maybe even fit snow chains again.

Comment

It's a good investment if you could swing it. At you're height, it's more of a skid-plate as intended vs. heavily lowered cars who unforgivably have to treat it like a bash-plate.

With a 1.5" drop, I'd use any on the market currently.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Those battle scars mean something. Specially that I live in LA. Get one before you lower the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have broken one pan, its really annoying to deal with it and worth every penny for a bash plate/skid plate. its like alot of things in life, id rather not need it and have it, then need it and not have it.
          as for what it would look like dropped 1.5 inches, thats about what eibach springs say they will lower the car so you can google e30 eibach and get a decent idea
          WTB:m60b40 in PNW
          Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
          92 525it 5 speed.
          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Just buy a red46 plate and some ie3's and some bilstein sports and call It a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RichiesE30 View Post
              Okay, so I'm a noob but have been doing a lot of research on lowering set ups. I plan on lowering my 87 325e ~1.5 inches or so and I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone have pictures of an e30 with about that much drop?
              Ive looked but can't seem to track down anything that says specifically it has a 1.5 inch drop

2. Will I need a skid plate?
              This car is my DD so cracking my oil pan would be bad news so I just want to make sure and get a full list of things I need to purchase.

3. If I do need a plate, where should I pick one up?

Thanks.
              I do have pictures. I'll attach some when I am off work.

2. More than likely not. I live in southern Kentucky with some pretty rough roads. I have went through like 3 or 4 of the 'is' lips. So, I would just save the money and buy a replica mtech single piece front.

If I were you, I would correct the issue with these https://www.condorspeedshop.com/prod...gine-riser-kit as I want to hear a review.
              But if you feel like you need to RedE46 makes nice skid plates.
              20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Working...
              X