Someone help big problem with steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone help big problem with steering

Its a 88 528e but nobody seems to know on 5 series boards.
    Okay so when i let go of the wheel it pulls hard, when i countersteer it stops pulling less hard as i counter steer past the point where the wheels would be straight.
    Do you guys understand?
    So there is the wheel can be turned left, the wheel is driving straight, and you can turn right.
    So it does this on both sides.
    And the more i steer opposite, it gives up.
    So if i stop the car at a sign, turn it all the way left, then put it straight, i drive and then it pulls HARD to the left.

If you guys understand this then when you repsond please say you do or dont understand.

My upper control arm bushings are obliterated, i know the front suspension is most likely different on the 3 series vs my E28 5 series.

WTF is going on? I am puzzled, and this is really dangerous.

thanks

also, how the hell do tie rods fail? i ask this on EVERY site and people act stupid and say dumb stuff like "oh they just fail"
    How the **** do they fail? And could that be the problem.

Too much toe out?

Comment

someone said it might be the powersteering check valve...but i have no idea what is what for power steering.
      But the bd alignment is depending on wether or not i turned left or right.
      And can be fixed by countersteering when the car is off

its like if you made a left turn slightly, then start driving in a straight line, it barely moves, but say you made a turn where you had to move the wheel in a big circle, the car pulls that hard...as if the steering keeps going that way.

Its not toe or camber cause that would be constant either pulling left OR right...and not variable.

Comment

Tie rod trouble.

Tie rods generally fail as follows. The inner socket joint where they attach to the rack develops wear and becomes loose. Or the outer tie rods wear in the socket. Jack up the wheel and grab the tire at 9:00 and 3:00 o'clock and wiggle. Have someone else do it and look at the tie rods for movement. It's also possible that's the rack has too much play in it.

Comment

the e30's will do the same when the upper strut bearing starts to stick, or when the steering ujoint starts to stick. cheers, jason

Comment

Working...
          X