Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing bump stops from Bilstein HDs ... does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing bump stops from Bilstein HDs ... does it work?

Hi,

I own some nice fresh Bilstein HD's (they are in my parts car). I'd like to get lowering springs lower than an E30M3, e.g. IE stage 3, or H&Rs ... ergo I need to either buy Bilstein Sports for the front (I already have Sports in the rear) ... or....

in a thread around here, someone said they removed the external and INTERNAL bump stops in order to effectively go from HD's to Sports. I understand how to take off the external bump stop just take it off, but the internal is a little more complicated. I did some research (googled) and came up with this (at least for the e36):

------------------------------------------------------------
    Subject: Re: [E36M3] bump stops on bilsteins
    Date : Wed, 5 Dec 2001 04:52:26 EST

Dan,

My favorite subject! Bilstein bumpstops!! ;-) Four words of advice: Get rid of them!!

My slightly lowered M3 constantly bounced off of the front bumpstops. The ride about drove me crazy. It was like riding a pogo stick. I was about to junk the Bilsteins. After I removed the front internal bumpstops, the ride is still extremely firm (harsh even) but livable for me. I don't have the "bouncy" ride.

But yes, to remove the front bumpstops is not easy. Dang it! I intended to do a tech write up on it! I even took pictures. I thought I had scared everybody away from Bilstein by now. :-)

You have to unscrew the shaft from the bottom of the strut. Remember the front Bilsteins are upside down monotube shocks. You should have a 17 mm nut and a slotted screw in the bottom of the strut. I recommend buying a screwdriver bit for your rachet. It takes a lot of effort to screw the shaft out of the housing, especially if it has seen some weather.

First back the 17 mm nut off until it is flush with the end of the screw. Don't remove the nut. It will help hold your screwdriver bit in place. Now the hard part. If you have a vise - great. Clamp the strut in the vise. Or else have a friend hold the strut steady for you as you bear down as hard as you can with your screwdriver/rachet and turn the shaft. Remember to turn it CLOCKWISE. You are screwing it into the housing.

Hopefully it breaks loose and you can turn the slotted shaft without damaging the threads. You can try some WD-40 etc. to loosen it up. But what finally worked for me was to put the screwdriver bit on an air wrench and zapping it off. If you can put enough weight on the rachet, I think you can probably get it off. Good luck.

Eventually you will have to remove the nut entirely. Just carefully screw the shaft all the way into the housing.

Once you have this accomplished, it is simple. Just pull the top out. Don't worry about anything exploding in your face. The troublemaking bumpstop will be obvious. It is 2 7/8 inches long. I recommend just taking it off and throwing it away. Put the strut back together without any bumpstop. I promise you, any impact hard enough to fully compress a Bilstein strut will destroy the car. Bumpstops with Bilsteins are redundant. If you want to keep part of the bumpstop, use a hacksaw and cut 1 inch off. Use the 1 inch part and throw the other 1 7/8 inch away.

Lowell Seaton
    '95 M3
    Dallas, Texas
    ---------------------------------------

Thoughts/coments on if this would work in an E30 and/or should I just suck it up and sell my front HD's to get front Sports.
    '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
    '86 325es * SOLD *
    '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Nobody has done this or has any comment? I'm going to call Bilstein tommorow and see what they say..
    '86 325es * SOLD *

Comment

I wanted to do this with my Bilstien sports before I installed them, but couldn't find enough info about how to take them apart, so I left them as is.
      I was advised by the guys over at A&E Performance in Campbell to shorten the bump stops, but I never figured out how to do it. I probably just should have asked them...

-Erik

Comment

Update--I just called Bilstein. Here is what they said:

To drop a car up to 3/4" of an inch use Bilstein HD's as is.
        (e.g. E30 M3 springs)

To drop a car up to 1.5 inches use Bilstein Sports.
        (e.g. H&R Sport Springs)

If you are going to use race springs (e.g. IE stage 3, H&R Race)
        you can get away with Sports it is right on the line in terms of ride
        height and the use of Sports, but you may want to send them
        into Bilstein to get revalved for about 65 - 85 a piece. If you really
        wanted to race, you would take the sports and have bilstein revalved
        them to match your race springs.

They can modify the valving but obviously not the rod length on either
        sports or HD's. For example they could make my HD's into Sports as far as valving goes, but the rod will still be longer and thus not recommended.
        I would be better off buying the Bilstein sports then.

They told me that if you are really into it, and you know what you are
        doing you can do things like fiddle with the internal bump stops either
        cut them in half to increase the travel, or remove them but that voids
        the warranty and it is not recommended.
        '86 325es * SOLD *

Comment

With no bumpstops, it only takes one nasty pothole to ruin your struts.
          87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

My friend has -60 front spring with Bilstein sports, the shocks feel like they do bottom out easily.

I cut like little over half off the bumb stops of my own and it didn't feel like bottoming out.

Both with Bilstein sports, my car had -60 front spring also, but mine sat lower...
            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
            BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
            BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Bumping this so I can find it later.

I am currently revalving a set of bilsteins for Wreck Racing, and may shorten or remove the bumpstops also.

Comment

Working...
              X