Installing trailing arm bushings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing trailing arm bushings???

I need to replace my shitty red IE bushing with the newer ones that actaully fit. Im wondering what the esiest was to do it is. I have done it with the subframe out of the car, but i'd like do it with it in the car this time!

undo the bolts and move the trailing arms out a little bit. You'll have to remove the filler hose on the tank to clear the passenger side outer bolt

That's all. Gear wrenches are helpful but not necessary.

If you are carefull you wont have to remove the brakelines at all. Just pull the springs out beforehand.

Comment

wow the bushings once again fit like shit. not only is the metal sleve too small but i cant even get the TAs back into the subframe

Comment

Wow...more IE? Bummer to hear of such a shitty product.

Hope I have better luck with the AKG's I am ordering tomorrow.

Thanks for the warning!

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
          wow the bushings once again fit like shit. not only is the metal sleve too small but i cant even get the TAs back into the subframe
          It's supposed to be a tight fit! Urethane undergoes plastic deformation once you tighten everything up, and I'm sure at that point the metal sleeve will be flush. Dont flame a product until you understand how it's meant to be installed/functions.
          87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

i cant get it in with a fucking pry bar. and when i tighten the bolts the bushings are supposed to shrink several mm? hmmm

Comment

the big end of the IE bushings is smaller then the big end of the stock bushings, which means the other side is too long

Comment

pictures?

Comment

here
                  Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone have IE Rear Trailing Arm Urethane Bushings installed on there car successfully? This may just be a cause of a bad batch. Or like IS said maybe they need to be tightened like a SOB before they fit correctly. Did you try to contact IE and ask for there advise? If so I would like to know before I purchase the bushings.
                    sigpic

Comment

doh!

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
                        i cant get it in with a fucking pry bar. and when i tighten the bolts the bushings are supposed to shrink several mm? hmmm
                        You be the final judge. I don't have experience with IE's bushings nor could I see the progress of your install - just letting you know about urethane's properties. Good luck.
                        87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

i had the same problem. absolutely no way to fit them in without slicing off a little bit of the end on the bushing. the first side went in and was sliced on the bracket while making them fit together, the second one wasn' even close. i had to shave a bit to make it fit. either way it'll be better than before i figure, but i was very very frustrated during the whole install!!!!
                          1990 325i - Brilliantrot, 3.73 LSD, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 4300k HIDs, Rebuilt with Metric Blue Head bolts, Planning turbo with MS by end of the year...
                          2006 R6 - Raven, Driven 520 1,2 Chain Conversion, 6000k HID's, DB Screen, Heated Grips, GYTR CF Slip-on, Fender Eliminator, Flush mounts
                          (wife's)
                          1992 325i - Alpineweiss II, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, 18" M6 Replica Wheels, 6000k HID's, Angel Eyes, Blacked out Kidneys, 20% Tint

Comment

Working...
                          X