DIY Rear Shack Tower Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Rear Shack Tower Brace

I made a rear shock tower brace for my car(’87 325). It’s a fairly simple part to make if you have some basic fabricating and welding skills, so I thought I would pass the steps and a pattern to make the mounting brackets.

Some pictures

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2101971462

Materials:

1/8” thick steel plate
    1” square steel tube, 0.06” wall thickness

The first step is to print two copies of the drawing and cut out the mounting bracket patterns. There are two lines 3” lines on the drawing to check if your printer is printing at the correct scale. If it is not, some printers have X and Y scales that can be edited to get a correct print out. The two brackets are the same, you flip one over to get the opposite side. Glue the two patterns to the 1/8” plate. I used a 3M spray adhesive. Once it dries punch the centers of the three holes on each bracket. It’s better to do this first in case the paper comes off at some point. Then cut the along the edge of the line. I used a band saw, which is probably the best bet as it cuts pretty square and doesn’t tend to rip the paper off like other tools. You could also use an angle grinder, a reciprocating saw, jig saw, hack saw, etc. You might want to scribe/draw the outline of the bracket if you use the use one of these in case the paper comes off. After cutting the outline, drill the three holes. Two are 3/8” (9.5mm)holes. The shock mount studs are 8mm, but the extra large hole help make up for any location errors. The big 2”(50.8mm) center hole is clearance for the shock bushing. A 47mm hole would clear, but is an odd size. I used a 2” hole saw. Hole saws often cut as much 1/8” oversize, but I have found that Lenox makes ones that cut quite close to size. I filed and sanded the edges to de-burr and remove cutting marks.
    I then bolted both brackets onto the shock mounts in the car. I cut the steel tube to 38.5 inches in length (you will want to double check this with your car), and put it in the car on the two brackets, lined up with the rear edge. The two brackets are angled slightly down to the middle of the car, but I did not feel that the gap between the end of the bracket and the tube was enough to worry about fitting/ bending the parts together. II used a vice grips to as an end stop to keep the bar from sliding back. I centered the bar up on the two brackets. I used cardboard to try and keep weld spatter from getting on the car. I also undid the battery ground as the electric welders could possibly damage the ECU and other electronics. I am not sure if this is actually necessary, but am not willing to take the chance. Then I tack welded the brackets to the bar. I took the bar out of the car, and welded the rest of the joints between the brackets and the bar. I then rechecked that it still fit the car.

The fit of the brackets on the outside to the fender wells is quite tight, but the other three sides of the brackets are pretty much wide open if you want to modify the design. Let me know if you want a PDF drawing of the bracket.

Nic

Did you feel any change with the bar fitted?
    I don't mean to put the wid out of your sails, but it seems to me that the rear shock towers are only subjected to vertical forces and the horizontal brace can't counter them.

Avner.

Comment

pic?

Comment

nevermind i see it

Comment

Feret,

this part has more than just the stiffness benefit. If that was the only reason for installing it, I would probably not have done it, at least not at this point. From my internet reasearch (everyone knows that anything on the internet has to be true!), these rear shock towers are rather weak and have a tendency to break, especially with stiffer shocks. Mine have not broken, but I don't intend to find wether it is true out on my car . The parts that Ireland sells to brace reinforce the shock towers are basically the same as the brace mounting brackets. The second benefit (to me at least) and the main reason I installed it at this point (I am a little embarrased to admit this) is that I can mount an amp and subwoofer to the brace. I had them lying around in the garage from a car I had sold a couple of years ago and needed to do something with them or get rid of them. I promised myself when I got this car that I wasn't going to cut it up, run screws into body work/ frame, etc., and this allows me to mount the stereo stuff with out doing that.

With that said, I haven't had a chance to try drive the car hard since I put it in to check for a difference. Plus I am not sure if I could tell the difference with all the squishy stock rubber suspension bushings in. As I said, if it were only for the stiffness I would not have put it in at this time.

I do not agree with you that the loads are stricly verticle. If the trailing arm chassis rotaion axis was parallel to the wheel rotatation axis and parallel to the the shock mounting flat in the body it would theoretically be a totaly verticle load. The wheel movement would consist of an arc where the it move vertically and fore and aft with no sideways movement. How ever, the trailing arm rotational axis is not parallel to the wheel rotational axis. It is angled so that the inside edge of the trailing arm is further to the back of the vehicle to allow for camber gain during bump travel. This set up produces vertical motion, fore and aft motion, and lateral motion due the fact that the arc (or parabola or what ever shape it ends up) the wheel makes is now angled in to the center of the vehicle. The force is then taken into the shock mount at this angle, and any angled force can be broken down into the various purely horizontal, vertical and fore and aft compenents. Further more, just because the loads are verticle does not mean the reaction forces and moments in the chassis are purely verticle. How ever you do have a point in that it most likely it does do less for the stiffness with the trailing arm suspension than it would with a strut type suspension.

Comment

did you make a template for the plates ?
            if so post it :)

id like pdfs

Comment

I will gladly post it if you can tell me how or point me to directions. Otherwise I will be happy to e-mail it to you.

Nic

Comment

email and ill host it for you ... carlp@lazerinc (dot) com

Comment

e-mail sent. Thanks

Nic

Comment

hosted...

pdf

Comment

404 error
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Good to see it has a purpose of anchoring your stereo equipment. I had a custom rear strut bar too before I sold it to another board member. The extra weight didn't justify a very slim/if any structural benefit.
                        87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

Should weigh about 3.3 lbs. Not enough to worry about in my book. On the other hand it might not be the worth the effort for anyone else to make it. Up to you to decide.

Comment

due to the structural design of the rear seat back and decking, this bar is not needed. BUT in race cars with those pannels removed, it is then probably necessary.
                            though, normally, you would never be able to tell it was there. hell, most people cant tell the front bar is there.

Comment

Working...
                            X