Font strut help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Font strut help!

So I bought a set of BAV Auto springs and KONI STRT struts/shocks.

My car is an 86 325es, based on info I found I assumed it has 51mm housings, and based on the dollar bill trick, I would say this backs it up;

I assume the KONI's ar ement for the 51 since that is what most e30's have, and there is no way to choose on any of the online vendors sights. Also the retaining nut threads into the inside of the housing, which I think is further proof it is a 51.

The strut fits nicely into the housing;

But then the retaining nut doesn't fit;

On the strut that was in the car, that nut fit over the top of the strut a little bit, not just sitting on top of it.

Honestly looking at the strut and housing I'm not sure there is enough room to thread any kind of retaining nut on there, it is a pretty tight fit in the housing. This would lead me to believe that I have the 45 housing, but everything else points to otherwise. I need to get new batteries for my calipers, then I will measure it for sure.

But assuming it is a 51 strut housing, then what does that mean? Did I get sent the wrong struts?
    2002 530i - Daily
    2013 Ford Flex Ecoboost - wifes/family hauler
    1986 325es - fun car (or money pit depending on who you ask)

My build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=422370

OK, so got batteries for the caliper. The housing is 51mm, new strut is 44mm, old strut is 38mm.

So I'm assuming the collar nut I have is specific to whatever strut insert that is, and I just need a new collar nuts.So is the stock collar nut the one I need? Like this one;

I'm nut sure what size the stock insert is.
    2002 530i - Daily

Comment

The gland nut you are holding is for a Bilstein Sport/HD insert which have a thicker shaft.
      Koni's use a differrent nut, ( i have used OE nuts with Koni inserts in the past without any issues) because stock inserts have similar diameter shaft as Koni sport inserts.

So yes, stock collar nut is what you need to install Konis. Didn't they come with their own? Usually Konis do come with them and they are very slightly different than stock nuts. If they did not for whatever reason, use OE nut. You have the right part in Bavauto link.
      » PARTS FOR SALE
      » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

I just noticed that you have regular Koni inserts( Orange), not the adjustable sports (Yellow). which explains why they did not come with their own gland/collar nuts. Hence you will need to buy the stock ones.
        » PARTS FOR SALE
        » TRANSACTION FEEDBACK

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
          I just noticed that you have regular Koni inserts( Orange), not the adjustable sports (Yellow). which explains why they did not come with their own gland/collar nuts. Hence you will need to buy the stock ones.

Awesome, thanks for the info. The Koni's are the STR.T's. So supposed to be a low end performance shock. Hopefully they work out. They are going in with a set of BAV Auto springs, which was about the least amount of drop I could find on springs. Figured that would be the best bet.

I was wondering if what was in the car are Billi's. They are yellow, but there is no label, or even engraving I can find on any of them. They are all blown to heck anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
          2002 530i - Daily

Comment

Working...
          X