Coil over info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil over info.

What kind lenghts the threated piece of common coil over kits are?

What kind of sping lenghts and rates you are riding? I believe that most spirings are 12" right?
    Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
    BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
    BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
    BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

"6 is usuall lenght,
    adjusters are about "2 in the back and "3 in the front or so
    Gunni
    @ Prodrive / Aston Martin Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Rocla View Post
      I believe that most spirings are 12" right?
      Originally posted by gstuning View Post
      "6 is usuall lenght
      Naturaly ment 120mm(~6") not 12", it perfectly messes up my head to convert inches to metrics and ft/lb to kg/cm all day long.
      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Front springs typically range from 6-8", depending on spring rate, desired ride height, and strut housing length. The rears - 5-6."

Spring rates vary greatly based on application and personal preference but the front to rear ratio should be around 2:3.
        87 325IS - Delphin Grey/Cardinal

Comment

Do the aftermarket kits have pre tension on front spings? Do the kit come with helper spring?
          Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
          BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Standard GC adjusters are 4" front, 2.5-3" rear. No pre-tension, no helper.

Comment

After cross refering all I could find, I made 4" adjuters, I'm planing to to use helper spring.
              Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
              BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Pretty difficult to get a helper in with how little length we have to work with.

Post up your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                  Pretty difficult to get a helper in with how little length we have to work with.

Post up your progress.
                  I measured that distance between sping perches while adjusted to lowest position is ~180mm with bilstein sports.

I'm planing to use Fk automotive 1200m 80kg/cm main spring and Fk 20kg/cm helper. I believe that the helper will totaly collapse while car is on ground.

Too bad that I won't be able to tell about my progress, I've scheduled my car to be driveable earliest at late autnum 2007.

I might try this setup to my DD to test it.
                  Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                  BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Why do you want a helper though? I haven't heard of any issues with unseating, at least on the front.

Tenders all around would be interesting though.

Comment

I don't believe that it's real FK kit, but modified struts and some fk parts.

The picture of m3 coilover set from FK automotive shows that even the cheapest fk kit has helper spring at front.

Of course this picture can lie, too bad I didn't find picture of non M3 e3 kit.
                      Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                      BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Those helper springs will collapse into like 5mm when the car is loaded... they have a very soft spring rate so they bind quickly.

The rear needs a shorter, stiffer spring because the rear motion ratio is pretty extreme.

Comment

If one really wants to keep the rear springs tight in the perches under all conditions then there is one possible solution. One can take a pair of helper springs and have them welded on to the bottom of the main springs. A helper spring is a very short (about 2.0-2.5 inches), very soft (about 10 lbs/in) spring which is made out of flat wire. Thus when the helper springs compresses it forms a very short disc - equivalant to a small spacer about 3/8" thick. Under most conditions the helper spring is completely compressed, but if all load is taken off the main spring then the helper spring extends to keep the main spring pushed tight against the upper spring perch. A helper spring is not to be confused with a tender spring. A tender spring looks the same but it has a much higher rate than a helper spring. Nonetheless, a tender spring is still softer than a main spring. Thus when using a tender spring in conjunction with a stiffer main spring one is able to obtain a "progressive" overall spring rate. This technique is sometimes used in Super Touring, F1 and WRC.

Take a look at the H&R Springs web site, under Motossports for the different springs and combos one can set-up.

Comment

sorry about poor picture, but here is my future strut mocked up:

I bought them used, the previous owner had welded like 15" of threaded sleeve over the stock "52" strut, obviously he had thought that using long thread lets him to use different coil lenghts. After a trial fit I found that virtualy any rim wouldn't clear with that setup. So I cut sleeve off, shortened them to 4" and welded them back, now I have to sand struts smooth and paint them. On the picture the locking plate is on lowest possible position.

I have both Bilstein HD's and sprints on stock, wondering which I'll be putting to this package.

Now I have solid uniball bearings, but I'm planing to go with camber adjust.
                            Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
                            BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

Working...
                            X