GC coilover install trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GC coilover install trouble

See the tube things on the right? what are they for?

The things below it(two Os) look like they go on the strut housing....

Are those the shorter konis from GC?

I might guess that those are spacers to use in your strut housings if you did not have them shortened.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

the longer tubes are spacers that sit inside the front strut tube. I think its kind of shitty idea but the other option is to cut your tubes and then use the little rings as spacers. I did not cut mine and I can drop the car to the floor. So good luck and I know you will like, I sure do!
      Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Hows the suspension travel with the long spacers in?

How about I try it with the spacers.... and then if i dont like it cut and weld?

Comment

Originally posted by Maeda View Post
          Hows the suspension travel with the long spacers in?

How about I try it with the spacers.... and then if i dont like it cut and weld?
          from what i hear, the spacers actually go ON TOP of the struts, therefore creating the same effect as cutting the strut tube.
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30 View Post
            from what i hear, the spacers actually go ON TOP of the struts, therefore creating the same effect as cutting the strut tube.

UMMM, no.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

Originally posted by DaveCN View Post
              UMMM, no.
              I got this from GC themselves.... i thought it sounded wacky myself...
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

So if I don't cut and just install to the stock spring perch, how much travel am I losing?

Will it matter (i got some really stiff springs)?

Comment

It will not matter on what you are giving up. Trust me, my car rides on rails and is stiff as hell. 440f 750r and the car is perfectly set up with all new everything. I would not cut them and you will trust me on this, you will very like the setup as well. I also did the M3 links and bars. Why because I was there already. But my car is a dream to drive and really is the best hadling car Ive driven.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                    It will not matter on what you are giving up. Trust me, my car rides on rails and is stiff as hell. 440f 750r and the car is perfectly set up with all new everything. I would not cut them and you will trust me on this, you will very like the setup as well. I also did the M3 links and bars. Why because I was there already. But my car is a dream to drive and really is the best hadling car Ive driven.
                    I like the sound of that. :D

I went with 500f 700r and going to adjust accordingly after a few tests...

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                      the longer tubes are spacers that sit inside the front strut tube. I think its kind of shitty idea but the other option is to cut your tubes and then use the little rings as spacers. I did not cut mine and I can drop the car to the floor. So good luck and I know you will like, I sure do!
                      That doesn't sound quite right to me, being that the rings are significantly shorter than the tubes, and when G-C cuts the tubes, they only cut 1" off. Are you sure they're not the collars you weld around the strut tube as the new spring perch?

-Brandon
                      '86 325es S50
                      '12 VW GTI Autobahn DSG
                      '03 540i M-Sport (sold)
                      '08 Jeep SRT-8 (sold)

For sale:
                      S50 TMS chip for Schricks

Comment

POSITIVE. They couldnt hold the spring perch if they want to.... they're a few sizes too small.

Upon seeing that pair i think i might want to send mine off the GC. Thats a very nice (and shiny!) job.

Comment

I have this set on my car and I installed them myself. Do not cut the tubes. Cut the stock perch off and weld on the collar rings. There are rings that will have a lip per say. That is where your spring collar sits. The ones in his pics are spacers for the shocks.

Comment

my kit did not come with anything resembling a collar ring. Am I screwed?

I also can't get the gland nut off. I assume theres a special tool i'm SUPPOSED to be using correct?

Does the gland nut fit inside the threaded spring perch piece?
                            Last edited by Maeda; 11-11-2006, 01:05 AM.

Comment

I use an air chisel to get the gland nut off. Works every time. You could also use a hammer/chisel if you dont have air.

I didnt weld a perch onto my struts either. I cut the stock perch but left a little bit for the sleeve to sit on. Works great!

Comment

Working...
                              X