Lowering my 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering my 318i

Hello, im new to this site and the bmw world but i just traded my s-10 for a 84 318i :D and its a cool car i think and i want to make it a one of a kind.
    My first step was getting it running right and fix the wreing problems it had. I did all that runs great for a 4 popper! I painted the factory rims black and now i want to lower it as low as possible. i plan on running 15" rims so im guessing i can go pretty low. ive looked around the site and yes there is alot of info already but im just confused people abreviating and such. but how and what do i need to lower my 318i as low as possible. Im going one step at a time. its my daily driver but i gotta trick this ride out theres not to many of these dun up in my area.

Thanx.

You're going to have trouble lowering the car more than 1.5" or so due to it's light weight. Most e30 springs are made for 325s which are a bit heavier in the front and rear. If you really want to get it low (lower than 2"), you'll need some coilovers.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Whats up Kencopperwheat!
      i found some springs and coilovers on the bay and i still havent decided on what to go with?? i plan on maybe doing a motor swap in the near future so that will weigh the front down. but thats not for a while. Should i go withthese coilovers? or should i go with these springs? let me know what you think.

Thanx.

Complete set of used Bavarian Autosport lowering springs. Part number # 306n16. Parts were removed from a 1988 325is. Mileage on springs is unknown.Retail new at $ 224.95 (NO RESERVE)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COSMO Racing Adjustable Coil Over Kit

COSMO Racing Adjustable Coil Over Kits are made for performance enthusiast who pursues the ultimate handling. These kits draw out maximum performance of the cars. It can improve hard cornering with confidence at all levels. You can also customize the hight as needed for wheel sizes as well as weather conditions.

BILLET 6061 ALUMINUM SLEEVES & SPRING SEATS

These are high quality coil overs that NOT TO BE COMPARED WITH THE LOW COST COIL OVERS in the market.

It can be lowered from 0-1.75"

Buy it with confidence !!

Comment

just cut the springs!!!! FUH RAZEEEEEEe

Comment

Dont buy noname suspension parts on ebay(aka the cosmos). They are crap. The bavarian springs should be good as Bavarian is a name you can trust, and they just repackage an Eibach pro kit and sell it under their name.

You might also want to look into getting an H&R cup kit. Slams the car all around and rides real well if you live in an area with good roads. Not a real performance oriented kit but if your looking to just slam the car, its the way to go.
          Back to my roots

Comment

Hey what is a H&R cup kit? where can i get them?

Thanx.

Comment

I was always told not to cut the springs?!?!? i dont plan on racing the car and im on a budget so if its possible to cut the springs should i? any advice?

Comment

Don't cut springs. You'll end up with a horrible ride, and the springs won't fit securely between the top and bottom spring caps. So when you raise the car, the springs will clunk around.

Check out our H&R Cupkits and Vogtland suspension kits. They're a great deal for the price and include everything you need!
                Mike

www.purems.com |Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

Cutting the springs is fine, i've done it on two e30s, just make sure on the rears you get them seated right, they are barrel springs. They won't set like factory anymore, but you can place the coil on the frame rail...it won't move.

Let this not turn in to a debate, cutting springs is fine and it's hardly different than buying lowering springs, the spring rate increases when coils are cut.

Yes, when you raise the car they'll be loose, but i've never once had a problem with this if i lower the car slowly and make sure they're seated right (which i've never had a problem with them seating wrong), just don't get airborne. :P

Ideal drop IMO is 3 coils front, when doing the back, just cut where the barrel portion ends from the top and go from there.
                  Last edited by O 16581 72452 5; 01-09-2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Hey i checked out those h&r cup kits and there WAAYYY to much for me. This ride is my DD and i want to low buck it. Im ballin on a budget!! does anyone have some used stuff???

Comment

Working...
                    X